Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nook or Kindle? why and why not >

Nook or Kindle? why and why not

Nook or Kindle? why and why not

Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 AM

I have a Kindle and like all the others before me...LOVE IT! Next to quilting....it's my favorite thing to do to relax. I like that I can be anywhere, and I mean anywhere, and download a book instantly without any hassle. I have the "Mighty Bright" light that clips on ($19.99) and read without bothering my husband. My eyes are pretty tired by the end of the day and changing the font to a bit larger is wonderful. And previewing a book by reading it's first chapter before buying....love it!

I research things to death before buying and bottom line is I really just wanted something to read from. So touchscreen, color, and other things weren't a high priority. My Kindle saves space, everything is in one place, I can take lots of "books" with me under one cover and I read more now than I ever did so that's a plus. But more than that...you can't beat their customer service. I owned mine about a year and while traveling the screen froze. I thought maybe it was because I was on a plane and the guy next to me was working on his computer and though maybe signals were crossing causing it to freeze. I called them the next morning and without question they said I would have a replacement in my hands the next morning. They were right!!!!! Just had to send the old one back within 30 days. So, yes, all this said.....I'm hooked on my Kindle!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Katia
My dear husband gave me a Kindle for Christmas, and I LOVE it. I think there must be several thousand real books in this house and they take up a lot of room. We have three bookcases plus multiple piles on dressers and bins under beds. Dh and I are both readers so we have accumulated a lot of books. I still love the feel of reading a real book, but I hate picking up one that looks or sounds so good and then the print is so small. I know I need new glasses but still. Or they are so heavy. I read Under the Dome last fall and my goodness, I think that book was five pounds. There are several big books that I would like to read and even have, but packing them around is a pain. The first book I bought for my new Kindle was Pillars of the Earth. I started it a while back in a real book, but the print is small and the book is huge. So this will be so much easier.

Anna, I have heard exactly the opposite. The ereaders are making readers out of young kids that did not have an interest before. And that people in general read much more when they have an ereader. I don't know if it is true, but it kinda makes sense. My grandson is an avid reader. My daughter spends as much as fifty bucks, twice a month at B&N just to keep him in books. And that is not school books, it is just for pleasure books. Last time I visited him I bought him a book he wanted and with tax it was over twenty bucks. I had to forbade him to read it in the car, and as it was he still finished it before bedtime that night. I'm thinking an ereader might be a good investment for him. As long as he was not in control of the buying part anyway. I know he could go to the library and he does that too.

My sister in law wanted a Kindle after she saw mine and played with it a bit. But there was not one in CA to be found after Christmas. So she bought a Nook. It was very cool, but she could not use it. Apparently touch screens do not work with acrylic nails. Had no idea. So that might be something to consider.

I also had the Kindle app on my iphone and tried to read a few books, but way too small. I could only get a couple of paragraphs on the screen and my battery was not liking it either. Luckily the books I got on my iphone went straight to the Kindle, so that was good. Kindle has text to speech, or audio too, for some books, although I have not tried it yet. I have also not found any book that was not available for my Kindle. I have found many free ones through blogs or other bookstores and sure enough Amazon has them as well.

We talked to the guy at Best Buy when we were looking for a Kindle for my SIL about the other ereaders he had there that looked very cool and were cheaper. I forget the names of them. We asked him what the difference was. He told us that mostly they were just slower then a Kindle or Nook. What that means I am not sure. Maybe it was downloading time or the page turning time.

I do like the feature on my Kindle where I can just click a button and poof the book is there. I can shop on my Kindle or online. Loaning is available as well, but I am not sure how that works.
I'm just expressing how I feel for myself. As for avid readers let's not forget about libraries. I belong to a book swap club and it is a great source for low cost books. Newly published cost more on Kindle than paperbacks do so the cost issue isn't really a convincing arguement for me.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Anna, In the town I live in because of budget restraints, our library is open only 4 days a week, and there is only the one . The bookmobile is no longer in service.
There are thousands of free books available for the ereaders and make it possible for to read books for no cost. Especially the classics. I feel if something brings children to read it is worth looking into. I am 71 and have been an avid reader since I learned to read. I used the library and bought used books for years. Now I have the kindle. I just download free books and don't have to worry about the weather and getting to the library. I think it is a great tool. If you want to get a copy of your books from a library, don't buy a Kindle, but most other brands allow access t
Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Anna, In the town I live in because of budget restraints, our library is open only 4 days a week, and there is only the one . The bookmobile is no longer in service.
There are thousands of free books available for the ereaders and make it possible for to read books for no cost. Especially the classics. I feel if something brings children to read it is worth looking into. I am 71 and have been an avid reader since I learned to read. I used the library and bought used books for years. Now I have the kindle. I just download free books and don't have to worry about the weather and getting to the library. I think it is a great tool. If you want to get a copy of your books from a library, don't buy a Kindle, but most other brands allow access t
Old 01-18-2011, 01:40 PM

Kindle, it was hard for me to get through to Barnes
& Noble, so I sent the nook back, Barnes still owes me a book guess I'll never see it.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 PM

oh, I love real, hard cover books, I dont even buy paperbacks, but I still want a tablet/reader for other reasons. I found a website of geek writers and they reviewed a bunch of readers (there were over 80 that showed at the electronics show! I mentioned). There is one I think I want over the others. It opens like a book and on the left is the reader and on the right is a real tablet of electronic paper and it comes w/ a "pen" and everything you write/draw is loaded into the reader.
Kids need all the love of books and reading that can be crammed into them! lol
I just heard on the (local) news this AM that somewhere in GA they are going to STOP teaching cursive writing in grade school (I presume that means thses kids will not be learning it at any time!) I guess all writing will be down to printing in the future, boy, Im glad Im old and wont be around for that.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Don't have much time to read since I am spending so much time on this board and trying to quilt!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM

I have a Nook. For the most part, I love it. There is only one thing that I don't like, it takes a full minute to start...
Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned

Well, I have seen them, but I'm just stuck getting books from the library. I read so much, that it would cost me a fortune to download them.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:38 PM

For me a library is not practical. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love our library, but I go there to buy books, not borrow. Our library has a very limited amount of books, and every time I find one to borrow, I end up paying high late fees. I learned a long time ago with my kids that we are just too forgetful in my family to ever get a book back on time. It is usually cheaper for me to just buy them. I do use our library for other things and support our Friends of the Library with donations and purchases. I wish we had a more modern library. My sis says that she can reserve books at hers and gets pretty much anything new that she wants very quickly. That would be great.

I also participate in two online book swaps and get tons of great books there. I currently have more books then I will ever read in this lifetime. I read for relaxation and I want to read and enjoy every word. I wish I was a faster reader, so I could read more, but trying to speed read takes all the fun out of it for me.

I will say that it takes a bit of getting used to, reading an ereader. I like it, but I will still read real books. I can not see just tossing them all. That would be horrible.