Nook vs. Kindle

Old 07-09-2011, 03:29 PM

I absolutely LOVE my Kindle. I have the cover with the built in light and I love it too. Mine holds a charge really well. Lots of free books available to download. My friend has a Nook and wishes she had gotten the Kindle.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:32 PM

I recently bought a Kindle. I read all the reviews, spoke to several of my co-workers at school where we teach, and I went with the kindle for several reasons.
1) I mainly use it for reading, so I really like the anti-glare screen. Nook Color has a glare.
2) The battery, when wireless is turned off, lasts almost a month. I don't have to worry about it running out of battery mid-book.
3) I like that it is NOT touch screen. I find that touch-screens tend to get more wear and tear on them. I like having a key pad available at the bottom.
4) Very easy to down-load books, share books, and Amazon has quite a few free books to download.
5) I wanted the 3G capability, so I bought the more expensive Kindle. I can Facebook on it, if I want to... from anywhere. I can access my e-mail as well.

I haven't regretted my purchase at all.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 PM

Kindle - love it for the following reasons.

Battery charge lasts for a month (with wireless turned on sporadically to get books).

NO GLARE - can read outside in the sunshine with no problem.

Don't have to hook up to a computer to put books on it - when I got mine you had to download books to your computer and then connect the Nook to the computer - which doesn't work if you work for an agency that doesn't allow that hookup on your laptop when on travel.

This fall (I believe it's November) Amazon is putting out a software upgrade that will allow Kindle to work with books in the e-pub format - LIBRARY BOOKS!

I have to say I have friends who have the Nook - they are split - some wish they had gotten the Kindle some love the Nook. I have never had anyone who has a Kindle say they wished they had the Nook.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle. I have no experience with a Nook, so I can't say. I use my Kindle every day and every night. One thing I love about it is that if I get sleepy, I just close it and the next time it opens right up to where I left off. I have the 3G, and when I turn the wireless off, my battery lasts about a month. I can download books with one button, right from my bed at night if I want. Tons of free ones, too. I'm like ssgramma. If mine broke, knock wood, I would immediately buy another one. I can't imagine my life without it.

Hubby had Kindle-envy, so I bought him one for Valentines Day. He loves his, too. My daughter then got one, and her husband soon after drank the Kindle koolaid :) They downloaded books while we were onshore in Jamaica on a cruise!

Amazon makes it waaaay easy to buy books... and when you have Kindle for iPhone and Kindle for PC, they are downloaded to all your devices. I know I sound like I should work for Amazon...but I really love my Kindle.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:38 PM

I've had my Kindle for probably 3 years. I love, love, love it. I read alot and love being able to go to Amazon and find a book. I don't have any complaints about my Kindle. It goes everywhere I go.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Another Kindle lover here! My library will soon be Kindle friendly- can't wait!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by bj
Originally Posted by ssgramma
I love, love, love my Kindle! Just finished getting 25 free books on it.

I have been using this Kindle for just over 2 years now and would buy another IMMEDIATELY if it died. *antijinx* That is how much I love it.

And no more large quantities of DUSTY books making me sneeze :-)
Do you know if it's possible to remove books from the archived list. I have some that I'll never be interested in reading again. And I hate that they're taking up space :-D :-D I'm not sure how many books it'll hold.
If the book is being "stored" in your Kindle archives on Amazon, you can delete them, though I don't know why you'd want to. At the Amazon archives, you can have as many books as you want, it will NEVER run out of room. It's only the number of books you have on the actual Kindle, and I think that will hold about 1200 books...

As far as Kindle vs Nook goes...I don't know. I have a kindle, and as was stated above, anything happens to it, I'll have a new one tomorrow. The Kindle is e-ink, which is like reading as close to a real book as you can get...no glare, you'd need a light in the dark...but the thing I like best is I can sit out on my back deck, IN THE SUN, and still be able to see the screen. I'm not sure if you can do that with a nook.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
I love, love, love my Kindle! Just finished getting 25 free books on it.

I have been using this Kindle for just over 2 years now and would buy another IMMEDIATELY if it died. *antijinx* That is how much I love it.

And no more large quantities of DUSTY books making me sneeze :-)
I am with you ssgramma. I LOVE MY KINDLE. I have about 75 books on it now and I have read probably 50 of them. IF THEY were just books....I wouldn't have read but maybe one or two books. So its been well worth the money that we spent on it. They are now $114 the only difference in this one and the one that is more expensive is that the one for $114 has advertisements I was told that they ARE NOT in the books. For that price, I wouldn't care. We paid $259 for mine 2 years ago. Hubby is wanting one so I may get him one for Christmas. :)
Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 PM

I have a Nook. I bought the lowest-end version, which does have a wireless connection (it does NOT need to be hooked up to my computer to download books). I really like the color touchscreen at the bottom; it allows you to browse books by cover, and being a visual person I'm much, much more likely to remember the cover of a book than the title. You can also turn the page by swiping the screen with your finger, which feels more natural than clicking a button to turn the page. I do agree that unless you plan on reading a lot of magazines or kids' books, the Nook Color is not the best choice. The battery life is much shorter and the screen is basically like a computer screen. The black-and-white "e-ink" versions (which are the lowest and middle levels of the Nook) do not strain your eyes and can be read in direct sunlight.

Really, when it comes down to it I think most of the e-readers these days are more or less equal in the features provided. I ended up choosing the Nook simply because I liked the way it sat in my hand. Just try a few and you'll know what you like. :)
Old 07-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by bj
I have a Kindle. I got it because I'd already started a kindle acct. for my laptop. I got the smaller one (it'll fit in my purse). The books I had on my computer automatically transferred to my kindle. After I got mine, I saw there were cases that had a built in book light. My little case doesn't. At night while dh is watching tv, I use a clip-on book light. Mine will hold a charge for about 3 days, and I read a lot. I've never used or looked at a nook, but my friend loves hers.
Wow three days worth of charging. That doesn't sound right. Mine lasts for about a month. I wonder if its a mal function in yours.