Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Not so well known facts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    http://youtu.be/8DrhTAwBCso

This is MY county, take a look, please. Beauty is a fact.
    Thanks! Love your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone
    My grandfather's cousin invented the snowmobile ....
    piney
    I'm curious, Piney. Which was your GF's cousin: Eliason or Bombardier?

"In 1927, the first patent for a snowmobile was issued to Carl J. Eliason of Sayner, Wisconsin. The patent listed Eliason's invention as a snow machine.

Between the years of 1927 and 1962, thirteen patents were granted to inventors for snow vehicles considered the predecessors to the modern snowmobile.

In 1958, Joseph-Armand Bombardier designed the modern snowmobile. Bombardier is considered the father of snowmobiling who began commercial production and marketing of the Ski-Doo snowmobile in 1959. Joseph-Armand Bombardier was the first person to successfully market snowmobiles. He was granted a Canadian patent in 1960 and a U.S. patent in 1962 for his endless track vehicle aka snowmobile."

Above from http://inventors.about.com/od/sstart...snowmobile.htm

Blog Entries
    Although some folks would think that the 475 foot brick suspension bridge across the Brazos river completed in 1870 which was the longest bridge west of the Mississippi river is Waco's claim to fame, I think that the most important thing to happen in Waco is that in 1885 the soft drink, Dr. Pepper, was invented by Morrison's old Corner Drug Store.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSherbet
    Although some folks would think that the 475 foot brick suspension bridge across the Brazos river completed in 1870 which was the longest bridge west of the Mississippi river is Waco's claim to fame, I think that the most important thing to happen in Waco is that in 1885 the soft drink, Dr. Pepper, was invented by Morrison's old Corner Drug Store.
    :thumbup: I like DP.(Diet now.)

lACELADY-BEAUTIFUL PICTURE OF YOUR CHURCH AND CEMETARY!! i would love to live in Ireland, I'd move there in an instatnt

At the turn of the century Big Timber was the largest wool exporting town in America. The wool packing houses are still standing, they still smell wooly and musty. This area was very heavily settled by Norwegians.

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    http://youtu.be/8DrhTAwBCso

This is MY county, take a look, please. Beauty is a fact.
    VW is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

It's illegal to wipe your dishes dry in Oregon.

(It's one of those old, old laws, and I really don't know if it's still on the books....but wouldn't surprise me.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I grew up in Vancouver, WA
    Me too! In high school we used to go up to Prune Hill to drink and be rowdy teens. Now it's all housing developments. :(

It's difficult sometimes, trying to explain to people where you're from. If you say Vancouver, they assume you mean British Columbia. If you say Washington, they assume you mean District of Columbia. If you say Portland (because it's right across the river from Vancouver) they assume you mean Portland, Maine. I finally struck gold after 1980 when I was able to say I live close to Mt. St. Helens.
    We used to sled down Prune Hill in the winter snow! I watched St. Helens blow from my back yard, where were you?

Blog Entries
    i live on Long Island, the only thing i can think of is Son Of Same murdered people here.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast