Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: nutcracker esophagus ?

Blog Entries
    anyone have this? esophagial spasms. I do and just had one that totally shut my throat. I can't breath and don't like it.
    anyone else have this and what do you do about it? i had my esophagus stretched years ago. helped the pain but this still happens. i was laughing at something on Frasier t.v. show!

Never heard of it. Hope you can breath by now. May in Jersey

Blog Entries
    Don't have it, but found this article that says half the cases are related to GERD (acid reflux):
    http://esophagealcenter.ucla.edu/bod...&action=detail

Blog Entries
    I"m fine now, just keep clearing my throat over and over.
    this doesn't happen often but my throat has been bothering me just a bit. coughing once in awhile for no reason. this time i was only laughing. not eating. Grrrrr.
    My Sister has this also.

How frightening....hope you can solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    anyone have this? esophagial spasms. I do and just had one that totally shut my throat. I can't breath and don't like it.
    anyone else have this and what do you do about it? i had my esophagus stretched years ago. helped the pain but this still happens. i was laughing at something on Frasier t.v. show!
    My mother has this..... hers became so bad, that she ended up rupturing her esophasgus. She tried to FORCE water down... and the esophasgus had a weak spot.A ruture can be repaired by surg ( painful, long and not overly successful) Mom refused surg.. stayed in the hospital over 3 months with a direct line into her viens to feed her. She could take nothing by mouth for 3 months.
    We were told it is hereditary ( I have the south end spasms, thanks mom)
    That was over 20yrs ago and mom is now turning 80 in Dec this year. She still has spasms but would greatly be relieved if she would take medication for it. Yes, they have an antispasmodic drug for it. ( no, after 20 yrs I dont recall what she took) She found certain foods caused it more freq, so she tries to avoid them.
    Ask about medication to treat it... it helped mom but she kept forgetting to take it and has adjusted her diet, for the most part to avoid those foods.

Blog Entries
    hmmm. i used to have great trouble swallowing pills. difficulty eating pancakes, sandwiches, etc.
    i am actually better now. no pain down near my sternum but still get pain at base of my throat where the spasm seems to be. my throat just slams shut. usually happens when i'm sick. coughing and junk in my lungs. I told the Doctor one day i will either faint or just end my days on the floor. so far, so good.

I have that problem, and have had my esophagus stretched a couple of times now. If food gets stuck it make my nasal passages secrete more mucous which then makes me throw up. Of course it's only mucous that comes up because the esophagus below that is shut off completely. It's painful and annoying. When liquid only gets stuck I do find that hot drinks sipped very slowly sometimes help. When food gets stuck I find that afrin stops the nasal secretion which stops the throwing up. Nothing helps the pain but time. I don't eat anything until midmorning when my esophagus wakes up.

My mother had that. Not a good thing.