Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
October Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!! >

October Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!!

October Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:54 AM

Junebillie, those florals are gorgeous! I'm sure you will make something great with them. I keep looking at the purple one thinking how nice it would have been in my purple heart quilt.
Pat, I love your truck quilt! The border with the signs is so cute. That little gs is adorable and he sure looks happy with his quilt.
Gayle, I hope your foot and shoulder are feeling better soon. That sounds miserable. Enjoy your time with your mom.
I'm still working on my sister's heart quilt. The marker debacle set me back. I bought some new, strong alcohol to try on it. It seemed to blur it a bit. I finally decided to just stitch it with white and forget about it. This morning I will quilt the border. I was thinking about sewing in words of affirmation along with some hearts and squiggles. I have to decide pretty quick!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:22 AM

Pam, the permanent marker suggestions is what I would say. Also, if that does not work, and it was me, I would go over it with purple using the walking foot if you do not feel you could make each stitch. If you take it slow and steady, you can hit those holes just fine. Heat just activates those permanent markers and you are not the first, yep done it myself.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:26 AM

Default Friday frantics

We can say we have not had a bad day because this poor guy, what was he thinking?
The car is still running, as can be witnessed by the exhaust. The driver finally came back after the police were called, and was found crouched behind the rear of the car, attempting to cut the twine around the load! Luckily, the police stopped him and had the load removed. The materials were loaded at Home Depot. Their store manager said they made the customer sign a waiver. While the plywood and 2X4s are fairly obvious, what you can't see is the back seat, which contains -- are you ready for this? -- 10 bags of concrete @ 80 lbs. each! They estimated the load weight at 3000 lbs. Both back tires exploded, the wheels bent and the rear shocks were driven through the floorboard.

Now that you have enjoyed a great laugh, enjoy your weekend people. And remember, the proper tool for the job will get it done efficiently and without any pain. That especially goes for quilting!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:32 AM

Pat, your truck quilt is adorable.

JuneBillie, have fun petting your new fabric.

Gayle, I'm glad I wasn't last again this month. Maybe I'm turning over a new leaf. Sorry about your shoulder. I hurt mine painting last week - too much overhead on the carport, but my chiropractor put it back together Wednesday so now I just have residual pain in the bicep muscle.

I will be quilting that baby quilt from a kit today. If it were mine, I'd tear it apart and take out the satin, but it's not, so I'll leave it as it came. The quilt that needs expanding is still hanging around. It's on the game table in the LR and nothing is allowed out of place in there so that will motivate me to get it done.

I am losing weight and getting healthier. I haven't lost much this month. Maybe I'm bidding my time until the next batik month.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:34 AM

That brings back memories. I once had to ride home in the back of the pick-up. We bought plywood and stopped for a light, the tailgate was down and it all slid out the back. DH made me ride the rest of the way home sitting on top of the load. Luckey we didn't get a ticket or cause an accident. Now he has a supply of tie-downs with him all the time. Funny now but it wasn't at the time.

The new wood stove was delivered today. This means the house will be warm in the "far reaches" of the upstairs and my sewing room will be warm once again. Hopefully I can carve out some time there. I bought some flannel to make the DGD's pj's. I'm really itching to sew, craft and bake. We had snow yesterday morning and I feel the need to work on holiday projects. I'm the one that listens to Christmas music at the first snowflake sighting regardless of the date on the calendar.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Gayle have you ever tried a faux piped binding? No hand sewing at all. I love it. I use it on almost all of my quilts now. Hand sewing the binding will probably aggravate your elbow. Look up a tutorial. They are all over you tube and google. THey look good too. It looks best with 2 colors.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:58 PM

If I lost 5 pounds a month I would be a winner whether I won on qb or not!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Gayle have you ever tried a faux piped binding? No hand sewing at all. I love it. I use it on almost all of my quilts now. Hand sewing the binding will probably aggravate your elbow. Look up a tutorial. They are all over you tube and google. THey look good too. It looks best with 2 colors.
I looked at this one: http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html and Missouri Star also has a tutorial. There were a few others that might be good, but I didn't take the time to look.

Thanks for mentioning this, meanmom. I'll have to give this a try.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:13 AM

Glad it appears we are all back on track with our health (getting that way, anyway) and our sewing (with the holidays quickly upon us, we need that). I couldn't see the truck cutie, but the image in my mind was funny enough. I'm doing well this month - on the way down and my sewing isn't bad. Not accomplishing as much as I'd like, but I am working hard on the church banner i'm doing. I'll have pictures soon. It'll be 15 feet long - goes above the doors that lead into the sanctuary. Instead of the solid 15 feet, I made 5 3 foot panels (easier on me and my LA'er) I think once I get one finished, I'll really be excited and will get the others done quickly.
Fall has fallen here. Our temperatures overnight are in the low to mid 30's and daytime about 45 or so. Pull out the sweaters. I envy you that have the fire places - I miss that from our home in Colorado. (but I really don't miss Colorado weather!!) Stay warm, keep hydrated and eat healthy all.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 PM

That is one of the tutorials I have used for the faux pieced bindings. The hardest part is the corners, but once you fool with it a little it is a wonderful way to bind a quilt. I was in a hurry this morning so I didn't have time to look for the tutorial. I usually cut my piping color of my binding 1 5/8 inches and my main color 1 3/8 inches. That is the size that seems to work best for me.
I am the same so far this month, I weighed in this morning. I was pleasantly surprised. I have been on a huge peanut butter kick. Also I have been in the Halloween candy stash too. My exercise has been almost nothing. I gotta get off my ass and get moving. I also need to clean up the eating too.
PAt