Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Okay, So Riddle Me This.... >

Okay, So Riddle Me This....

Okay, So Riddle Me This....

Old 12-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Default Okay, So Riddle Me This....

I was in my sewing room 2 days ago, finishing up a Christmas present for my DGD. When I heard several loud pops outside - originally thought they were gun shots, but in fact they were fireworks.

We live in a quiet neighbothood, so when I originally heard it- not only was it a surprise, I almost run the machine needle over my finger. I have 2 rescued greyhounds - one panics from fireworks, thunder, etc. & this week I am babysitting my DIL to dogs (Min Pin & schnauzer) who also panic from thunder, fireworks etc.

Please try to picture me behind my sewing machine, with 2 small dogs trying to jump on my lap & a 65# greyhound trying to beat them up on HER MOMMY'S lap. This was about 4 PM - in FL it doesn['t get dark until 6 PM

It happened again yesterday, this time around 2 in the afternoon.

WHY ARE PEOPLE SETTING OFF FIREWORKS 2 WEEKS BEFORE NEWS YEARS - --- & MORE IMPORANT WHAT KIND OF PARENTS LET THEIR CHILDREN SET THE OFF DUING THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY??????

What is wrong with people
Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 AM

It is probably the parents and not the kids setting them (laughter). I have a friend who also rescues gray hounds and she had this issue as well. I have to admit to rolling on the floor laughing with the picture of you blanketed in shaking dogs needing your aid and comfort. You are a great person to rescue and baby sit pets. Thanks for the lovely chuckle (smile). Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 AM

Parents who work "let" their kids...because they don't know...I would guess! Poor babies...today - play loud music in your house around that time...I heard it helps. My dog did the same thing until she lost a lot of her hearing...she is 15 now.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 AM

Where I live it is usually the adults doing it!

But I agree with a previous poster, it is just as likely kids out of school for the holidays and getting up to whatever they can find!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:22 AM

I dont have pets any more ,but we have fireworks at night. I thought they were gun shots. Taht sure scared me so I am sorry for the dogs . Hope thins get better. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM

this brought back memories...we would have to put our border collie in the inside hall bathroom with the exhaust fan on every friday night during football season...we lived close to the high school and they set off a cannon whenever they scored a touchdown! and Fourth of July was worse...but we did have a friend tell us about the radio...so there she was in the bathroom, with her bed and blankie and the exhaust fan and a radio.....
Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

This is the time of year that different people celebrate numerous holidays, perhaps the firework were for one of those? Sudden noises freak me out too, so the dogs have my sympathy.(and you of course having to deal with them)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 AM

LOL at you with those "babies" jumping in your lap. Glad you didn't sew your finger!! I have the same issue here except my baby is the human kind and just when I put him down for a nap....Pop!!! I live inside the city limits so the kids aren't suppose to be shooting fireworks in the city. But that doesn't seem to stop them. I'm not a grinch but I do wish they would wait until New Years Eve at midnight!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM

When I moved to AL from CA I was really surprised to see firework stands all over the place in December! I thought they were just not taken down from July, but no, they are set up specifically for the Christmas holiday. Also New Years Eve, so get some ear plugs around here! I lost a wonderful german shepard that first year, she was locked on the screen porch because of the weather, and she ran right throught the screen and we never found her! Really sad holiday for all of us. Linda
Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM

Your poor babies!