Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One of my most important food shopping tips ever

Blog Entries
    It's sad when you need a chemistry and biological degree just to buy food.! I drive the produce man nuts at the local grocery store. He will now see me and tell me which foods are in that I want to buy. I don't buy prepackaged processed foods at all. There is no way to know what is in them. Some ingredients do not have to listed where they were grown or how they were processed or created in a lab somewhere. The food changes are serious for our children. So many have allergies, weak immune systems, learning problems, etc then ever before.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    And here I thought you were going to tell us how to remove those annoying stickers ....... without damaging the fruit!
    Does it surprise you if I said me too!!

Still ... I'll be looking at those stickers for now on!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by doghousemom View Post
    does it surprise you if i said me too!!

Still ... I'll be looking at those stickers for now on!
    gmta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
    Thanks so much. I have a sea food allergy and those genetically modified ones cause me so many problems. They inject fish DNA in the plants to make the vegetables more cold tolerant. You just think that tomatoes are a healthy thing to eat until you find yourself in the ER.
    Isn't that disgusting to know our plants are part seafood?!! Yuck! My husband like to grow a little garden. I had fresh collards I picked this morning for our New Years Day tradition. My black eyed peas were fresh, frozen and very good. Wish we could grow all our food. But am thinking will start looking in our area to find who grows what things and become a regular at the farmers market...

Quote Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
    Isn't that disgusting to know our plants are part seafood?!! Yuck! My husband like to grow a little garden. I had fresh collards I picked this morning for our New Years Day tradition. My black eyed peas were fresh, frozen and very good. Wish we could grow all our food. But am thinking will start looking in our area to find who grows what things and become a regular at the farmers market...
    I also shop at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and Earth Fare but you still have to read all the labels and ask questions about where stuff comes from...

According to Snopes, it is true.

What the Sticker on Your Produce Actually Means

Price Look-Up codes (PLUs) are printed on the small stickers attached to fresh produce at the grocery store. These codes are used to make check-out and inventory control easier for the store. They also tell you key pieces of information about the produce, such as how it was grown.

Conventionally grown food can be identified by a four-digit number, such as 4011 for bananas.
    Organic food is identified by a a five-digit number that begins with a nine, such as 94011 for bananas.
    Genetically modified food is indicated by a five-digit number that begins with an eight, such as 84805 for a vine ripe tomato.

PLU codes are created by an international body and can be searched online.

If the sticker also has the USDA organic seal, then you know it’s been certified by the government through the National Organic Program. To be certified, products must be inspected and meet the USDA regulations. Learn more about organic label.

All I care about is how good the produce looks and if I like it or not. I don't spend anymore time shopping than I have to. I steer clear of organic anything, I just figure it is a way to get more money for the stuff.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Thanks for posting this.
    Susette
    http://fabricribbonandyarn.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast