One of those days.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:30 PM

I am having one of those days where it feels like I am taking 2 steps forward and 1 back. I am trying to make some diaper covers for my new (to be) granddaughter. I got the pattern off line...Ruth's Rump Pocket. I am not making it a pocket though. She has a crazy way of putting in the leg and back elastic. ( at least I feel it is crazy) One method is sewing it on before sewing the two pieces together and making a casing when doing the topstitching. The other method is after topstitching, You insert the elastic through the opening , hold it close to the topstitching , on the inside, and stretch and sew. ( need an octopus to help) (Grin). I tried this method and didn't succeed, so I just stitched it on the inner leg and back. The elastic looks like it is not stretching /retracting correctly. I used an elastic stitch on my machine. One of the leg openings looks bigger than the other. But I went ahead and put on the velcro to close it. I think this is just going to be my learner piece. No wonder they cost $50 for four in the stores or on line.
Has anyone made diaper covers? What type and method did you do? Her baby shower is Saturday...I think I might just put the fabric and a note in her gift and work on them later when I don't feel rushed.
I thought making some burp cloths and diaper covers would be something to just whip out....well you know how that goes...(grin).
Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Never tried, but I think the making a casing would be easier.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

My DGD used those when she was a baby but I never tried making them. Sorry.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 AM

put the one you made in a box, with a note that 'the directions needed corrections and when received, will work on more'
I understand...some days you'd think we were trying to read Greek....