Online course question

Old 04-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Online course question

Hello all! I've had fun sewing all day but took a break when the mail lady delivered my Creative Machine Embroidery magazine. First issue for me and I found an advertisement for a course from The Quilting Company called "Absolute Beginner Machine Embroidery." There are literally no people around that I know who machine embroider and I need some visual guidance. It's 26 "exciting" video lessons that look pretty good and cover lots of topics. If anyone has firsthand knowledge could you let me know how it was? Thanks!!!!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

I can't help, but I am in a similar situation so interested in the answers. I couldn't find "26 video lessons", but I did find this:
https://www.quiltingcompany.com/stor...embroidery?p=1

There are something like 51 lessons at 5.99 each. Is it the same instructor?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:16 PM

That's the one but if you go to this site, you see the 26 courses. Price for package is reasonable.
http://www.shopsewitall.com/product/...d/new-arrivals
I hope I did this right......
Old 04-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Okay. I found that she has 50-second previews of the videos on Youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...IN04rYdrgKDgXG

I couldn't find a place that says how long the videos are. Might be a good course; I can't really tell.

I looked on Craftsy, but couldn't find anything equivalent:
https://www.craftsy.com/search?query...2Fsearch%22%7D
Old 04-17-2018, 03:16 PM

This might be a stupid question, but...do you own a machine that can do machine embroidery?
Old 04-17-2018, 03:23 PM

You can post your questions here and some of the ones that have machines can probably help. What machine do you have for EMB? How do you transfer the EMB designs or do you need help? Do you have/use software? What are your goals for EMB? Do you have support from a local dealer?

I have BL & B*rother machines and happy to help. Other have different brands. Check your specific brand for videos. Lots of information on the net.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:31 PM

Barb 2018 There is thread on this board called Embroidery Machine Lets Chat and Have fun. If you type that in search you can always find that thread and if you post on that it will bring that one to the top. Welcome!!!
Old 04-18-2018, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
Barb 2018 There is thread on this board called Embroidery Machine Lets Chat and Have fun. If you type that in search you can always find that thread and if you post on that it will bring that one to the top. Welcome!!!
I'll hop over there today. I have a Bernina 880 and started doing a little embroidery last winter, but honestly I spent lots of time and money trying to figure out which stabilizers to use on which fabrics and which pattern. My only conclusion is that there are no rules and I need to test every pattern on exactly the fabric and stabilizer I've chosen. There's gotta be a better way. I have software and use a USB stick to transfer designs to my machine. No problems with that part. I have oodles of thread...no problems with any type of thread not working. My main trouble point is stabilizer I think. Thanks for the comments, I'll try the other thread.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:04 AM

Barb,

It sounds like you are well on your way with machine EMB.The thread is long on Let's Chat and it's hard to find the specific topic without reading through each one. What types of projects are you doing?

I like to streamline stabilizers and generally use 3-4 different ones. Products are very similar across the brands.

Here is a free workbook I use for reference.

http://www.rnkdistributing.com/resou...Stabilizer.pdf

No show mesh is a general use stabilizer for embroidery. I buy it in large rolls so it is much cheaper. For quilting blocks on the EMB, I trim out around the seam line so it doesn't add bulk.

You also want to stabilize knit fabrics with a product that can be ironed on. These usually have "sheer" in the product name.

If the design is dense, or over 8,000 you can float an additional piece of stabilizer.

For special EMB quilts with applique blocks, I iron add a sheer product to the applique fabrics. It adds another layer of stabilizing especially on heavy satin stitches around designs.

I use tear-a way medium for many projects too. For in the hoop projects I use cut-a way that can be left in the project.

There is more information here on projects too.

https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/default.aspx#

Hope that helps.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the link Rhonda, I have an embroidery machine that I don't use enough because I don't really know enough to about stabilisers etc. Here in UK we don't have the same dealer support or classes available. I'll also have a look at the classes.