Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Only female hummingbirds at the feeder

I have lots of hummingbirds at the feeder but only females.. The number has grown dramatically over the summer, which tells me they are raising young. Where's the male?

They are probably at the bar!! Raising youngsers are hard on the male! I have just started to see a male this week.

Blog Entries
    I see three at my feeder, how do you tell the difference? The three that I see pretty much look the same except one seems more agressive and keeps the other two away from the feeder. I have considered putting up another feeder.

They are all getting ready to migrate this time of the year, lots of activity as they are filling up for the long trip south. I will have to pay attention tomorrow and see if the males are gone here to, also a Warren County resident. Lace

we have the ruby throated here, red on the neck, the females dont have the red on the necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattie Frances
    I see three at my feeder, how do you tell the difference? The three that I see pretty much look the same except one seems more agressive and keeps the other two away from the feeder. I have considered putting up another feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by earlylace
    They are all getting ready to migrate this time of the year, lots of activity as they are filling up for the long trip south. I will have to pay attention tomorrow and see if the males are gone here to, also a Warren County resident. Lace
    http://www.hiltonpond.org/articlehum...ationmain.html

the article above in from South Carolina, so I would think they are getting ready or already leaving NY & NJ areas.

Quote Originally Posted by earlylace
    we have the ruby throated here, red on the neck, the females dont have the red on the necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattie Frances
    picture of male and female ruby throated
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/rubythroated.html

the females of the ruby throat have a blunt tail with the bottom side feathers in white.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hootnannie
    I have lots of hummingbirds at the feeder but only females.. The number has grown dramatically over the summer, which tells me they are raising young. Where's the male?

do you know the more feeders you put up the more birds you will get?

Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Had a few a couple of weeks ago, I too am only seeing the females.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast