OnStar anyone?

Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Don't you know that OnStar still tracks you even though you cancel the service? then they sell the info they get off of that tracking to companies wanting to sell you stuff. And other entities too....
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 PM

Access to OnStar is the only reason I would buy a GM vehicle. I live alone, get off work at 11pm, drive 11 miles on open, country roads with farm fields on both sides. During the winter, snow blows across the road & drifts. If I ever got stuck or god forbid skidded off the road, it would be comforting to know someone would be able to find me. Yes, I carry a cell phone, but if I were injured or knocked out, I wouldn't be able to use it.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:22 PM

I got the free year and bought two more at the same time, because they gave me a great deal. When it ran out, I decided not to renew it, because I am retired, and I don't drive much at all anymore. However, here is my story. About 2 months after I got my new Saturn, it was stolen at one day. I was devastated. I called the company, and they knew where it was but told me they were not allowed to tell me, for legal reasons, because it I went to get it, and something happened to me, they would be sued. They told me to call the police, and have them contact OnStar from my home, and they told the police where my car was, and I got it back the same night undamaged. The money I paid for OnStar was nothing, compared to what I would have lost without their help. That is the honest truth. I was blessed to have their help and get my new car back.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 PM

when you see a van driving the wrong way on a divided highway you'll be glad you have on star. it happened to me, was able to notify highway patrol immediately. have it for emergencies.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 PM

I would think twice....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...g-senator.html

I won't own a car or truck with Onstar equipped in it.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 AM

if you call to cancel they offer you a cheaper deal at least they did us but we couldn't afford it anymore so we had to cancel it anyway I read just a while ago they still keep track of your car even if you don't have if on and if you have an emergency you an still use it
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by cmagee84
I have it for safety reasons. If anything happened while I was traveling alone or while my husband was out of town, it is nice to know someone is there to help...immediately. It is the same concept as insurance. That is my 2 cents worth. :)
As senior citizens, I love this feature. Someone is always there to help. I use the travel directions too. I like speaking to a human and having them send it to my car.

I will always have On-star on my car because we migrate to FL every winter.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:22 AM

I have OnStar too. I pay for it annually, so I'm good til August 2012. It gives me peace of mind.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 AM

I have a cell phone and a AAA membership, that's my substitute for OnStar.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Thank you ladies for sharing their thoughts, experiences with OnStar.

I live in so Cal. I only drive from home to my job which is a 10 minute drive. On weekends, hubby and I visit friends and do things within the same county we live in. When we travel, we do it by plane since all our family members live very far from us.

We have cell phones with walkie talkie services and a GPS gadget.

3incollege is right. She asked how many times have I used it on the last five months and the answer is zero.

So I guess I really don't need OnStar.

I have a question though. This might sound like a stupid question, but here it is: the information that OnStar tracks are the places you go? If so, for what purpose?