Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Open for suggestions: How to temporarly attach super thin binding to fabric? >

Open for suggestions: How to temporarly attach super thin binding to fabric?

Open for suggestions: How to temporarly attach super thin binding to fabric?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 PM

I bought a roll of silvery gray bias tape with the adhesive all ready on it from Quilt in a Day. I laid my block out on a pressing board and stuck straight pins down through the binding--arranging & re-arranging until I had everything where it wanted it. Then I pulled out a few pins and hit that section with my Clover mini-iron. I just kept removing pins and using the mini-iron until I had it all fused. Then I used a very small machine applique stitch all around the binding.

I have also seen paper pieced patterns that have the "leading" built into the pattern so no bias binding is used--just a little sliver of black/gray/bronze fabric before adding each piece.

Stained Glass block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]202503[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-202497.jpe  
Old 05-26-2011, 09:51 AM

USE ELMERS it's the best bargin you can buy. dab it on - heat set with iron - washes out. and i bet you can get it somewhere near you right now.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 PM

Sharon Schamber (I think that's how you spell her name) uses Elmers School Glue and has a fine tip applicator, she uses it when doing her binding. I tried the glue on my last binding and it held that very well, although I did not invest in the fine tip applicator and wound up smearing some around with a tooth pick, but it did work! I think the fine tip applicator would be best for yur narrow tape. Can't wait to see the finished project!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by MTS
If it's just the single piece black fabric, wouldn't it be easier to attach the fusible (whatever width you bought) to the large piece of fabric and THEN cut the 1/8" strips?
I'd even do it with a Steam-A-Seam lite sheet - and a larger piece of black(?) fabric, and then carve off the 1/8" cuts that are needed.
The method I'm using: I'll have a white piece of fabric that my design is on, put down the colored pieces (the "glass"), and then put pieces of bias tape (the "leading") in between the colored pieces.
And that method would work SO much easier in the way that MTS described. Fuse the web to the black BEFORE you cut it to the thickness you want for your lead. Don't know why you'd have to move the leading around any, but tack fusing moves easily and then press when you're ready. Easy as pie. It's dry, it stays put, it's neat. Any other adhesive is going to leave fuzzy edges and glop, especially with the huge amount of leading in this project and the narrow width you have chosen to work with. My
I'm not entirely sure if I get the method both of you are trying to relay to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're trying to tell me to cut the strip to whatever width I need for the leading and leave the edges raw. Or having one piece of black fabric the size of my wallhanging and cutting out all the glass parts so I'd have this one solid piece that's just black linework (as shown in this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQZHVPGL9Xg). In either case both methods leave raw edges and I don't want raw edges. With the leading being so thin I would think it wouldn't be hard for the fraying to really take its toll and completely wear out my linework. Even more so knowing me...I'm not exactly the most delicate with my projects even when I try.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy
Sharon Schamber (I think that's how you spell her name) uses Elmers School Glue and has a fine tip applicator, she uses it when doing her binding. I tried the glue on my last binding and it held that very well, although I did not invest in the fine tip applicator and wound up smearing some around with a tooth pick, but it did work! I think the fine tip applicator would be best for yur narrow tape. Can't wait to see the finished project!
Totally forgot that I've seen that method on a video before. Think I forgot because...I don't know...something about that woman urks me. When I watched her videos I sort of felt this "I'm a high prize winning quilter and a reeeeeeeal know-it-all so you must suck horribly if you use any method other than what I am showing to you on my videos" vibe. Maybe its just me.

But after reading all the comments on here about using Elmer's Glue it actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. But do I really want to pay $5 for a fine tip glue applicator I'll probably only use for this project?
Old 05-28-2011, 04:56 AM

you can buy small empty plastic applicator bottles at the craft stores. they have the long applicator tips that you can cut off to give the size line of glue you need. i used a pin to poke a hole in the tip and got a very fine line that way. in some ways it works better than the metal tip. cause you can just repoke the hole when it clogs. the metal tip is very very tiny and can only be cleaned with the super fine wire that comes with it. and i lost the wire. so to clean the metal one now i have to wash it often in hot water. the plastic tips work just as well and fit on the glue bottle too or you can put some in the small bottle. the small bottle is a little easier to control for me.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ann31039
you can buy small empty plastic applicator bottles at the craft stores. they have the long applicator tips that you can cut off to give the size line of glue you need. i used a pin to poke a hole in the tip and got a very fine line that way. in some ways it works better than the metal tip. cause you can just repoke the hole when it clogs. the metal tip is very very tiny and can only be cleaned with the super fine wire that comes with it. and i lost the wire. so to clean the metal one now i have to wash it often in hot water. the plastic tips work just as well and fit on the glue bottle too or you can put some in the small bottle. the small bottle is a little easier to control for me.
I think I saw some miniture squeeze bottles at Wal-Mart, but I don't think it was in the craft section. But I can't remember where I saw it. Maybe the kitchen gadget section? I know they have the larger squeeze bottles there. I'll have to try finding those bottles again and see if they'll work.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by ann31039
I think I saw some miniture squeeze bottles at Wal-Mart, but I don't think it was in the craft section. But I can't remember where I saw it. Maybe the kitchen gadget section? I know they have the larger squeeze bottles there. I'll have to try finding those bottles again and see if they'll work.
check the cake decorating ilse too. i've seen them at michael's, and hobby lobby in the paint's section. and i've seen them in the dollar stores occasionally also. they are just handy for alot of things.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
you can purchase fusable on a roll (like tape) that is 1/4" and 1/8" wide...it is what is used on the black bias for stained glass. it is not expensive= and is used with a bias tape maker to attach it to your leading.
it is available from clotilde's and nancy's notions. it is on the page with the clover fusable bias tapes.
i bought the roll of 1/4" i have now at joannes- it was very inexpensive....compared to the ready made fusable bias tapes.
Can you tell me where I can find ⅛" fusible black bias tape? I've looked and can't find any.
Thanks