Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Opinions Please on  Washing Machine >

Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Opinions Please on Washing Machine

Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM

I am not sure but I think my washing machine may be going on the blink. :(

I have thought of the new front loaders but have heard they take a long time to wash. I was wondering what your opinion of them is. Do you have one? Would you buy again? Do they get the clothes clean?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I think the front loaders get clothes cleaner... something about the difference in how they agitate, and multiple rinse cycles.
The ones I have used (domestic) do not take any longer than a top loader. :D:D:D
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

I have a Bosch Nexxt 800 (front loader) and it's the best machine I've owned since my Miele in Germany. Not quite up to Meile standards, but heads and shoulders above Maytag!

It does an excellent job of cleaning, and yes it can take forever... the sanitary cycle, which heats the water, takes over 2 hours. I don't mind... I love super clean clothes!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM

I love my front loader. I can throw in a queen size quilt and not worry about it getting all torn up!!! It cleans great.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

they are also making top loaders with no agitator. Looks like a front loader on it's side. Supposed to be energy efficient.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 AM

I recently bought a Sears water and energy saver top loader with no agitator. Stay away from that one. It needs constant cleaning and attention and is wasteful because pretty often you have to wash twice. It is huge, but my dryer is regular size, so that is no advantage.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM

I have a Samsung front loader, love it! Cycle is 56 minutes, and the spin cycle takes so much water out of the clothes, the drying cycle is much shorter. Very quiet, too. One problem with FL's is that you need to wipe off the inside of the door and leave it ajar, because there have been reports of musty smells in rare cases. I just use the last thing going into the dryer to give it a quick wipe, all done.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 AM

I just got a Kenmore Elite set when we moved. I love it.

Some loads can take longer, but I am not beating them on a rock, so I am no so worried about it. ;)

I will say, that I do a ton of laundry; since I have 2 small boys, and NO complaints!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM

I have an LG front load washer, and I adore it. We've had it for 2 years, and my only complaint is my own fault: I didn't know about running a clean cycle on it. I just did a heavy duty deep clean cycle, and no more musty! Now that I know, I won't have the problem anymore.

Edit: Oh, one regret? We didn't buy the pedestals for them. It's not a huge deal, we're young and (somewhat) limber, but I can see now that the extra $ for the pedestals would have been worth it.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 AM

I bought an energy efficient top loader... operates the same as front loader (Maytag). I really like it. I am tall (& old) and didn't want to change the way I do laundry!