Orthodic Inserts

Old 07-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Orthodic Inserts

Has anyone tried the orthodic inserts that you put your feet on the machine and it checks for your pressure points of feet. Do they work as they say they do? Has anyone tried the walk fits that they have on the infomercials? Do they work? And one last question I work in a warehouse on concrete walking fast up and down isles and running around conveyors. What would be the best type of tennis shoe?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:33 AM

I have horrible feet, no pretty shoes for me or else I pay for it. I swear by Adidas shoes. They hold up well and you can be in them all day and not get too fatigued. In addition to a good pair of cross trainers (or running shoes work well too), pull out the inserts and invest in a good pair of inserts. I love Softsole athletic inserts for high arches. Love them! I have never been happy with any pair of Dr. Scholl inserts I've gotten. Softsole inserts are about $20, and Dr. Scholl's can be as high as $45/$50! Not worth it.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:38 AM

DH has foot problems and they didn't work for him. Had to have the expensive ones from the podiatrist. But he got his money back on the store bought ones.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Orthotics are great! However, one size doesn't fit all -- what works for one won't work for another. Some can buy off the shelf orthotic inserts and some need custom fit. Unfortunately, you just have to try some and see how they work. I would recommend trying off the shelf first - custom orthotics are huge investment and may not be necessary. Also, it is a good idea to break them in for short periods of time each day before going for a full day in them. I have had good results with Orthaheel shoes. You may have better luck with another brand. When you find the ones right for you, you should definitely see a difference being on your feet on concrete.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 PM

I don't really have any arches in my feet. The foot doctor told me that I neede d custom but like it was mentioned they are pricey.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 PM

My podiatrist said the machine can diagnose but the inserts are crap. having said that the machine diagnose is not a substitute for a dr. He recommended the Powerstep inserts that are sold in athletic shoe stores. Some of them have trained salespeople that can watch you walk and help you find shoes or inserts to help you. I have a high arch and always bought shoes with an arch in them- some fit right and others not. When I put them in my shoes, it felt like a golf ball under my foot. Theynalso run about $40 and last about 6 months. I also got custom orthotics from my podiatrist.. No more high heels or flat sandals for me. There is a brand of shoe for high arch people and some of their shoes have removable insoles to wear with orthotics. I haven't purchased any yet as they are very expensive-$100-185 perpair. The brand is NOAT. i am hoping to sell a lot of my shoes to help pay for a pair of these. I hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

I don't think orthotics inside tennis shoes will work for someone who has to walk on concrete while working. Your feet need total support, not just cushioning at pressure points on the bottom. My recommendation is to go to a top-notch shoe store that specializes in shoes for people with foot issues (in MN this is Schuler Shoes; don't know what the equivalent would be in IL). Describe your foot issues and working conditions, and they should be able to fit you with shoes that provide the support you need. This type of shoe typically costs $100 to $150 but tend to last 5 years so they are ***really*** worth the money.

Before I did the above, I used off-the-shelf orthotics that simply moved the problem to a different area. Also paid something like a $450 co-pay for physician prescribed orthotics that were simply awful. The specialty shoe store was worth every penny. I did find an off-the-shelf orthotic that works for me in my walking shoes, but it is no longer made. Because it was the only orthotic that ever worked for me when I realized it was not going to be sold anymore I bought a lifetime supply of them off an eBay seller.

The majority of the time I wear only 3 types of shoes -- the walking shoes with inserts, indoor shoes from the specialty shoe store, and sandals from the specialty shoe store. Other shoes are for short jaunts to restaurants, etc. only.

You mentioned tennis shoes. Tennis shoes offer *no* support for the foot. I am hoping you at least mean walking shoes -- shoes designed specifically for walking. Good brands of walking shoes also typically cost in the $100+ range. This is because shoes that support your feet and provide proper cushioning (that does not break down with use) require good materials and good construction. My favorite cushioning for walking shoes are the Nike airs because the air-cushion compartments do not break down over time. Any kind of off-the-shelf insert you get made from foam rubber type materials will break down with use and provide less and less cushioning; they require frequent and regular replacement. It can actually be less expensive to start out with a good pair of shoes!
Old 07-20-2013, 12:52 PM

I got my inserts from a doctor- can't remember the price- I've had them for 3 years.

I only wear Haflinger clogs when I'm not in my tie up shoes with the inserts.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:03 PM

I can't use inserts since it makes the shoe fit tighter. I already wear size 11 and sure don't want to go up to size 12!
Old 07-20-2013, 02:25 PM

I've been wearing orthotics from the podiatrist for over forty years.. Though they might be expensive initially, they can last for 4-5 years.. They are very well worth it.. I stick with New Balance sneakers with the model numbers over 800.. There is a possibility that your insurance plan might cover them.