Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Our "son" is getting married...  HELP >

Our "son" is getting married... HELP

Our "son" is getting married... HELP

Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 PM

Ok. I got a call today from a young airman we adopted in November of 2004 as we were coming back from a cancer surgey in Texas. He was seated next to us on the plane. Long story short today he called me to ask if we would marry he and his fiance' in our home on Saturday...THIS SATURDAY!!! I told him to call my husband and ask to meet him in the parking lot of his work to ask him in person. Well Dan spoke with my husband and it's a go! Crazy news is I will be having surgery on Friday...just the day before...oh geez. This is crazy huh!?

So, any pointers?

Here in Alaska a person is able to officiate only one wedding in their life time so this is it. How excited are we? CRAZY excited. He is stationed in Japan and his fianc is from China. Her parents won't be here and his aprents won't be here. Truely breaks our heart. They will have a huge family wedding sometime during the summer in New York where Dan's family is. We are his Alaska Mom & Dad. We are so honored :shock:

I will be meeting her tomorrow @ 8 am and I'll have plenty of questions for her, truely I am thrilled to pieces. Dan is such a sweetie and I am sure she is just as sweet...she better be! LOL

Have any of you done this? Got any quickie pointers? HELP
Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 PM

Take a deep breath. You sound like a lovely caring person. I am sure that they will feel it also. Beam a happy smile.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

WOW, timing is everything. How many people will be in attendance? It sounds to me like he is not into a big flashy wedding but rather a lovely ceremony among his adopted family. As long as your house is clean and you can accommodate everyone to sit, you'll be fine.

Whom can you enlist to help with flowers, setup, and deco?
What kind of food will you offer?

Just think of it as an impromptu party and all will be well.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ritamaew
Take a deep breath. You sound like a lovely caring person. I am sure that they will feel it also. Beam a happy smile.
I am so excited I just wish timing were a bit different. I am sure I won't be feeling to great! But I will be smiling like you said. Thanks for your kind words! Holding my breath till then! :shock:
Old 02-10-2010, 06:00 PM

That sounds like so much fun. I am sure everything will go fine!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 PM

not much time. KEEP THINGS SIMPLE!!! Ask each guest to bring a family favorite covered dish, and a recipe for the bride. Food done! tee hee Good luck!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
WOW, timing is everything. How many people will be in attendance? It sounds to me like he is not into a big flashy wedding but rather a lovely ceremony among his adopted family. As long as your house is clean and you can accommodate everyone to sit, you'll be fine.

Whom can you enlist to help with flowers, setup, and deco?
What kind of food will you offer?

Just think of it as an impromptu party and all will be well.
The house will be as ready as we can get it ready with such short days notice. It looks like 3 couples will be here as guests.
Food? not sure, it is honestly going to be up to Dan on that.

Oh, gotta get dinner hubby will be here soon.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:12 PM

I agree, keep it simple! Ask people to divvy up things to help and pitch in with food and drinks. Or get carryout or go to a restaurant to eat. Ask someone attending who can take halfway decent photos to be the official photographer. Don't expect to do all the traditional "wedding" stuff...just be there to celebrate.

Finally, HAVE FUN! That's more important than anything else.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 PM

No pointers but you will be in my thoughts on such a happy day. I will pray that your surgery goes well and the day will be great!!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

Take a deep breath... relax and enjoy. Realize that you can't make it perfect so do the best that you can . Is there a local deli that you can pick up food from and a small cake ?