Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Our friend's dogs are too rowdy >

Our friend's dogs are too rowdy

Our friend's dogs are too rowdy

Old 05-03-2011, 12:33 PM

I don't like it when my own dog gets me wet with his nose or his toys. I put him away when we have company and he has learned to go away when ignored. I would be honest to your friends and tell them how you feel about the dog.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I love dogs but don't have any. if i visit i wouldn't want them slobbering on me either. if the people can't put them in another room, stop visiting. that is probably the only thing you can do.
or call that Victoria lady from It's Me or The Dog show to go show them how to train their dogs to have some good manners.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:09 PM

We always had rescue Dobermans, from one to 3 at a time, and I was pack leader. I was boss of them, and they behaved sometimes far better than my kids!! When company came, it was their job to inform me of that fact, then when I let them in, they would be told they were friends, and then they (the dogs, of course) had to go lie down or go "OUT" back.
If you don't have discipline for either kids or dogs, you are very shortly going to have some big, powerful juvenile delinquents on your hands, and nobody loves a brat. Mine were so well mannered (brag) that when one teen daughter baby sat in a not so good neighborhood, the parents, who had met him, ask if she could bring Kurt with her!! He was even asked to visit the Preschool my little boy was going to then. The real mean one in our family was our black, half Siamese cat!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM

I always have our dog go to his pen when I have company over...he is big...70 pounds and loves people...too much...and it is so much easier having him there than trying to stop him from trying to get attention from my visitors.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:05 PM

They are our social friends and we live about 40 minutes apart. I try to alternate between us going over there and them coming over to our house but 3 out of 5 times we end up going over there. I think honestly they just don't want to leave their dogs and that they don't want to make the drive. So even when we invite them over usually it ends up us going over there. It's getting old but he is best friends with my hubby so hubby gives in. So I have to suck it up and put up with the dogs.. :(
Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Get some dog repelling odor, like citronella, and put it on your feet or shoes!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:50 PM

I did kind of a brazen thing once, but it worked. My neighbors have a big dog, 120 lbs., her name is Happy and she's all that her name implies. I love my neighbors, and I love dogs, but Happy would jump up on me and quite frankly, she was just too darn big and my neighbors had a devil of a time controlling her so.............one day I brought my dog's training tool, it's called Pet Agree, emits a sound only a dog can hear, you press it, say your command, they get it fairly quickly, etc. I used it twice on Happy, after that, when I went to visit the neighbors and all 120 lbs. of her would bound merrily in my direction, all I had to say was NO and she stopped, sat, and I was able to give her a good dose of love and attention. My neighbors did not take offense either.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM

I wouldn't say a word. Why can't you meet for dinner and a movie somewhere between your locations? They won't have to come all the way to you (leaving the dogs alone for too long) and you won't have to tolerate their dogs.

I don't chastise my friends who have bratty, destructive children; I also don't blame my friends who are allergic to my cats or afraid of my dogs. I just find other ways to see them so we can all enjoy ourselves.

PS - We pet moms need a break sometimes, too. :lol:
Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 PM

That's too bad. I have the same problem and she's my best friend! I don't go over there much because of that plUs with so many dogs6, plus cat, birds, ferret there is a lot of hair and house smells like animals. I make food and they come over. If I have gone over I try to suck it up but don't stay long because I also have asthma. I do spoil them and send over treats. When they come over I would NOT allow my dOg jump all over anymore than I would let my kids. Hard because I love her and family dearly !!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 PM

tricky situation - hope you feel you can mention it to your friends without it sounding like a criticism perhaps you could make a bit of a joke about it!! I too love dogs but couldn't cope with that - if mine doesn't settle within 10 mins out she goes she soon gets the message