Outfitting a laundry room

Old 05-26-2014, 03:49 AM

Default Outfitting a laundry room

We talk about our sewing rooms, but, today, i would love to hear about your favorite laundry room furnishings, tips, etc. Setting up our laundry room. It is in the basement. We just finished getting the basement waterproofed and now the fun begins! Yippy!!

first, i want to put one of those indoor/outdoor patio area rugs down in front of the washer and dryer. Colorful!

A drying rack, shelving for organizing the laundry baskets. Rolling wire cart for the detergents, etc. Folding table for, well, folding!

Sandy
Old 05-26-2014, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I have a set of sinks for soaking stubborn stains, washer, dryer, a counter for storing my soap/bleach etc. and folding laundry. It is more functional than fancy since I want to spend as little time as possible there.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:31 AM

I'm a big believer in recycling or reusing. My neighbor was remodeling his kitchen and getting rid of his old wood cabinets. We took the small cabinet that is usually above the fridge and hung it over the sink to store soap, brushes, colorcatchers, brushes, and other smaller items. We used 2 lower cabinets back to back, added a cheap counter top and casters for storage of large items and a folding area. It's not glamorous and like Tartan said, I spend as little time as possible there.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you have all the essentials. We don't have a basement and the laundry room is next to our bedroom. Very handy since I never run it at night to disturb our sleep. Just the two of us and it has washer, dryer, cabinets over them, and we put in some wire shelves to hold hangers and hanging to dry clothes, plus what I take out of the dryer and put on hangers. Also a table to hold miscellaneous stuff waiting to get washed, like my bras that go in a mesh bag. We did put a tall free standing type cabinet in there to hold things like rags, cleaners, etc. Cabinets over the washer/dryer hold things like paint cans, aerosol cans, etc. We don't have a garage and it would be too hot in the outside storage room to keep things like that. Anyway, the system seems to work ok for us.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 AM

Cabinets definitely.

A hanging rod for hanging the clothes right out of the dryer.

Trash bin.

My laundry room is on the main floor. It's an L shape that doubles as the furnace/water heater room on one side of the L and the other side is the laundry area. It's too small to call a "room", it's two small closets in an L shape. My washer is my "folding table" and my dryer is where I stack the "already folded". Above the washer/dryer are two cabinets where I store bits of this and that (spare light bulbs, rarely used kitchen stuff like crock pot, batteries, candles, etc.). Immediately to the right (at the turn of the L) is a small stand which holds detergent and other regular laundry supplies, a pile of "rags" on the bottom shelf, and other utility items like the box of trash bags. To the left of my washer/dryer is a hook rack to hang brooms, mops, swifter, etc. Going diagonally across the L (and partially overhanging the utility shelf) is a curtain rod where I can hang clothes out of the dryer - or clothes that need to hang to dry.

It's a small room so I had to make the best of it. It's functional, but because it is small I have to make sure I keep it tidy.

IF I had more space ... I would want a tall cabinet for storage, a small table for folding with storage underneath (I would not want a large table as that would only encourage me to leave clean clothes there instead of putting them away), a rolling rack with a curtain rod, and most of all ... a deep double utility sink!!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Good lighting.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I have a large laundry room. Washer and dryer of course, large upright freezer and one small chest freezer. We have wall to wall over head cabinets that match the kitchen cabinets above the washer and dryer. We have a half bath in the laundry room too off the opposite wall. Everything is white, the walls, the appliances, the floor is ceramic white, and the cabinets. Easy to tell if it needs tidying up. One little colorful decorative item really pops in there, so it's fun to change out different things.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:11 AM

We re-did ours last year. I put linoleum flooring directly on the cement floor (glued). I had carpeting before and I was tired of cleaning lints from the laundry. We have old kitchen cabinet that we painted. the countertop is useful for folding laundry, it serves also as my cutting table as my sewing room is also in the basement. the laundry room is big enough so we added a shower and a toilet so it is used as a second bathroom. This room serves many purposes now and I like it. If I need to soak stubborn stains I use a big plastic bucket in which my laundry soap came in.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476890[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]476889[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]476891[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 002-salle-de-lavage-s-de-bain.jpg   001-salle-de-lavage-s-de-bain.jpg   003-salle-de-lavage-s-de-bain.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 11:58 AM

Helou,

what a great laundry room! Alas, our basement is old (farmhouse) and "finishing" it is not practical. My room will be functional. The area rug is to brighten up the space. Might rethink it tho. Perhaps some rubber mats. My DH has been working on installing the electrical outlets, he installed a nice florescent light that will hang over the W/D so the lighting is covered. I forgot about getting a trash can! And, no, I don't anticipate hanging out in the laundry room but I want it to be not so dingy. Silly, I know.

i wish now that I had the plumber add another faucet fr a small laundry sink. They do come in handy.

sandy
Old 05-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

Place for trash and the lint from the dryer. (Wastebasket)

Ours is "primitive" - but a major step up from wash tubs, gray Maytag washer, and heating the water in a boiler, and carrying the water to and from the washer and tubs.