Paducah quandry

Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 AM

What a quandry I'm in!!

I want to go to Paducah and I know I need more than one day to do it. When I looked at the dates I saw that it ends on the last day of the month.

I'm an accountant. Accountant's don't miss the last day of the month, or the first day of the month. It's just not done. In fact, I've NEVER missed month end close in over 25 years of accounting. I also do not miss work in general, I logged 1.5 sicks days in 2010. None in 2011.

So ... I decided that I would say screw the last day of the month this one time and call in sick (there is no way I could schedule this as a vacation day). I know I'll be shaming myself the whole time because I was raised to uphold to a better work ethic than that, but I'll get over it when I see that first stunning quilt.

Found out today my boss is retiring. Last day ... April 28, the day I plan on calling in sick to go to Paducah!!! While I'm not terribly close to her (only been at this Co 1.5 years), it would be rude to miss her last day.

Now I'm REALLY kicking myself.

What to do ... what to do.

I have a feeling that regardless of which decision I make I'm going to be miserable.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Go for it! (the quilt show)
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. LOL!
I do understand where you're coming from with not ever calling off unless needed but you have to do something special for yourself once in a while. Go for it!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM

In the larger scope of the world, for some reason it appears you are not meant to be at the show on that day.

Take it as a very big sign... don't call in sick, you might get the worst illness a traveler can get.

Enjoy the retirement last day party and look ahead to next year.

Sorry you won't be able to come down.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 AM

I'd go!! You are due some relaxation once in awhile.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 AM

There will be another Paducah, but there won't be another retirement party for this boss....
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
np3
Power Poster

Well, I think differently about this. I would simply request the day off. I'm sure the company offers Personal Necessity Days. Explain that you wish your boss well but would like the day off for personal reasons. To "fib" about an illness will always come back and bite you. If they say no, then it just wasn't meant to be.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by np3
Well, I think differently about this. I would simply request the day off. I'm sure the company offers Personal Necessity Days. Explain that you wish your boss well but would like the day off for personal reasons. To "fib" about an illness will always come back and bite you. If they say no, then it just wasn't meant to be.
This is what I would do.

I work for Accountants, I know which days are not good to miss. I have requested and been granted some days off that I didn't think they would let me go. Better to be honest.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 PM

I would work at going next year.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM

I agree w/ np3, tell the truth (personal day) Be sure to do some thing nice for the soon to be gone boss the day before w/ apologies for being unable to be there. Have fun at the show!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by np3

I agree that this would be the best. I am a stickler about honesty being the best policy. And I owuld never say I was sick when I wasn't! That is just asking to be sick. :thumbup: