Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Paint or Not paint an old Baby Buggy >

Paint or Not paint an old Baby Buggy

Paint or Not paint an old Baby Buggy

Old 07-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Default Paint or Not paint an old Baby Buggy

We have an old buggy/bassinet that's been in the family for a long time. I've never seen it. It's just come from my aunt (who slept in as a baby--and she's in her late 60s) who is downsizing and it's going to be used soon for my younger sister's baby (due in August).

Currently it's at a DIFFERENT sister's house in Kentucky and she says it's in remarkably good condition for its age. She said the body is much better than the wheels, which could use some paint, she says.

The buggy is ivory. Any thoughts as to whether she should repaint it the same color, or make it a crisp white, or just leave it as is? She has seen similar ones online for in the $400 range, so it's worth something monetarily, but we've no plans to sell it any time soon. (I may even use it when I have grandbabies in the next few years, Lord willing.) I just don't know if painting it would ruin the value? Or if it doesn't matter?
Old 07-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

my first thought would be... is the current paint lead based?
Old 07-24-2016, 05:47 PM

A lot depends on the condition, the actual age and whether you are just going to slap some paint on it or do a restoration. If it was your aunt's and she's in her late 60's it's probably 40's or 50's and could be in good enough shape to use as is. Personally, I would leave it as it is, if it's usable.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

I am with Nan and the first thing would be to order a lead testing kit. If the paint tests fine then it is up to you. If you don't plan on selling it as an antique, it won't really matter if painting it devalues it. If it is a buggy, a good wash might be enough. If it is a bassinet with bars, there are new regulations for spacing.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:45 AM

I love family traditions and apparently this piece is among those things to be passed down. When one of my grandchildren was being expected, I repainted the bassinet that I had used for my children. It was white but was aging. I used spray paint to freshen it and made a new liner for it. It looks good again. I would try to "kinda" match the color that's on the piece you have so any missed spots won't be too evident. I doubt lead-base will be an issue as use of the piece will be of a limited time and before Baby is chewing on the surface. And certainly Baby will not be sampling the wheels.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 AM

I've learned a lot from watching The Antiques Roadshow & one thing they always emphasize is don't paint over the original piece as it will lower the value of it. You can clean it but don't paint it. Original paint/patena is critical in antique pieces.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I agree with osewme. You need to check first if the old paint has lead but painting it will cut the value of this antique in half.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:19 AM

If it were mine I would not paint it nor use it for a baby. I would clean it up if needed, then put a pretty baby doll in it and use it for a decorative piece and share the back story with anyone that should ask.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 AM

This must be a hard sided buggy, right? In my mind I envision fabric type buggy body.....anyway, my question is what if it's lead painted? Is the child going to be chewing on it or lying in it? Many of us grew up with lead painted houses, etc........I never chewed on wood trim or walls and neither did my children growing up, nor I might add, "climb" onto dressers and have them topple onto them. I just don't understand this cover/remove lead based paint. Good that the now paint formula has removed/replaced the lead. I am more concerned about lead piping still being used to bring water to some communities/houses.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:09 AM

Would like to see a picture of it as it is before painting. May help a lot of us give a suggestions. Now, I'm of the "Don't paint it!" opinion, or just spray with a clear sealer.