Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
pattern for smocked girls dress >

pattern for smocked girls dress

pattern for smocked girls dress

Old 06-17-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by granny_59 View Post
Thank you for your answers. I am not looking for the smoking plates (can be found easily online) but for the sewing pattern of the dress. I am not able to find a sewing pattern in German online shops. I think this dresses are not too popular over here?

I am scared to draw a pattern myself as I made a test stripe with gingham fabric and ended up with a required width of 49 inches of fabric..........for the front only. What is a girl of 18 month doing with almost 100 inches of fabric around her knees???
I also don't have an idea on how I had to cut the seam line of the fabric that it will have the proper shape after smoking as I am not very experienced in sewing clothes. (as you might know I can sew broccoli........)

Granny
I might guess you bought the wrong size gingham checks? They do go from 1/8" to 1" checks. Try again with a smaller check?
Old 06-17-2015, 09:43 PM

I do have a 1/8" gingham and went in every third check. It pleats very nicely, just seems like a hell of a lot of fabric to me.........
Old 06-17-2015, 11:34 PM

I believe it is 3 pleats per inch of fabric. So if you were attaching a pleated skirt(or panel) to a yoke that was 12 inches, you would pleat 36 inches of fabric(plus seam allowance)
Old 06-18-2015, 08:43 AM

As far as a pattern is concerned, I watched one of Martha Pullens videos years ago, that had you do all the smocking on a piece of yard goods that ended up being larger than the pattern piece you are using. Take the pattern piece you want to use, and trace it onto light weight Iron-on interfacing. Cut it out and iron it to the wrong side of the smocked fabric, then cut it out, and now you have a smocked piece that is just the right shape. That is how she made a childs dress and a doll dress with smocking. Both had smocked bodice fronts, but smooth skirts and collars.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 AM

I saw a tutorial where it was done with freezer paper. My "problem" is that I would like the entire front in one piece. I like the look of the smoked bodice going seamlessly over into the skirt.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:33 AM

How does this look? Too tight, too loose.......maybe even just right?
Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails dscn2559.jpg  
Old 06-20-2015, 03:15 PM

Default pattern for smocked girls dress

Originally Posted by granny_59 View Post
How does this look? Too tight, too loose.......maybe even just right?
Thanks for looking
It looks perfect. I too smock and have a size 6 dress started for my great niece. I get my patterns and plates at the Berry Patch on Hulen st. in Fort Worth TX. They have all sorts of both. The one I'm doing now is ladybugs and I have a piggy one I might do, though that was bought for her piggy loving sister a few years ago. LOL Good luck and please show us when you are finished.