Paying for crocheted items

Old 02-05-2017, 01:39 PM

My mother in law was a seamstress for 75 years. She also crocheted in her spare time. She had five children, my husband is the youngest. For each wedding, she gifted them a large hand crocheted table cloth, all pineapples. Ours will be 55 years old next month. It's still beautiful, but I only use it for special occasions, lots of birthday and anniversary celebrations and holidays if it's a small group. The reason I don't use it more often is because I once said this is so beautiful, you should make a couple and sell them. Her answer:

Not in my lifetime will I make anymore because I'd charge $1,000. Takes a couple of years to do one of those with the fine crochet thread.

Since I sew, knit and crochet myself, I know the true value of this beautiful tablecloth. But all the grandchilden received large baby blankets to tote around a number of years, then their own afghans about age 10. Of course those are all made of thicker yarn and go fast. Yes, those tablecloths are a treasure.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Hand crochet with crochet thread is very labor intensive. You have to count every stitch. I use to thread crochet doilies. and even at $3 per hour labor the cost would be outrageous for the item. I would never ask someone to do a large tablecloth for less then $500.
Ditto... I was going to say $500 to $1000 if with fine crochet cotton.