Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
This paying it forward stuff works! >

This paying it forward stuff works!

This paying it forward stuff works!

Old 11-11-2014, 11:40 AM

Default This paying it forward stuff works!

I just sent an online order to Hancock Fabrics. It was 15% off the total order for Veterans Day, and I reached the $60 amount for free shipping.
Or so I thought.
I got a confirmation of the order in email, and it looks like I was 23 cents shy of getting the free shipping.
Hancocks has a form on their website that I filled out and exlained what I had done, could they just add another yard of anything I ordered so I could qualify for the free shipping?
Within 10 minutes I got a reply that they were not going to charge me for the shipping.
Nice store.

Then I remembered:
Yesterday I got an emial from a Norma, asking if she could buy some of the basenji Xmas cards? (Years ago, when my daughter was maybe 12? she drew some awfully cute basenji drawings and we printed them into cards and she sold them. With my 'hit in the head' car accident, I no longer do things like that because it just takes too much brain power to stay orgnaized and I had a box full of unsold cards here)

I told her I would send them to her and she should just 'pay it forward' however her life tells her to.
That experience with Hancocks, for almost exactly the same dollar amount, is proof to me that this 'payng it forward' idea is the right way to do things, when possible

I know any mother would say that what their daughter drew at age 12 is adorable is expected, but they really were:
Of course the watermarks were not on the cards)
Attached Thumbnails image140.jpg   image139.jpg  
Old 11-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Wonderful! Those drawings are fantastic for a 12 year old - I hope your daughter is still creating - bet she's good!
Old 11-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

a 12 yr old did that!!!!
She should be getting paid top dollar for those cute cards!!
Fabulous, stupendous, great, excellent, work!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 01:20 PM

What a talented daughter you have. Adorable drawings. They make me think that this breed must be mischievous.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

Your 12 year old did a terrific job on those cards. She is very talented.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

None of my drawings at 12 looked like your daughter's. They're beautiful! And yes "Pay It Forward" does work.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:28 PM

If you're aware of the Spoonflower website, they make fabric with the users images, I'm thinking about having these drawings put on fabric, and making a quilt. If I do that, I won't make them availanble to anyone else, so she said I could. I have so many cards that are not Xmas related and they're all so cute, but she's kind of posserssive of her artwork, which is understandable, so we're not ging to offer the fabric for sale.

I'm thinking it might raise some money for rescue or the health endowment.

Stop reading now if this gets too braggy, but I don't mean it too, her father and I have just stepped back and watched her soar! Really, she taught herself to read at 2, had and knew everyone on the list she made of over 200 dinosaurs when she was 5. When she was 4, what was the one thing on her Xmas list? A dictionary! She found a little dictionary on a chain and clip I had to buy for her, so she could always have a dictioary with her! Plus we bought her a 2 volume dictioary set.

I think if we had bothered to look into such things, she might be on the genius spectrum.

She's an RN and decided she's going to school to get whatever she needs to apply to med school.

Yes, these dogs are very, VERY mischievious.
They LOVE toilet paper!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:36 AM

you have every right to be very PROUD of her. Great story, hugs
Old 11-13-2014, 12:25 AM

Wow, your daughter is a very talented artist! Beautiful pictures!
Old 11-13-2014, 04:30 AM

Love your paying it forward story, and I love your daughter's drawings! She is a great talent, and you have every reason to be proud! Paying it forward not only helps others, but makes you feel good, and has a way of always coming back to you ten fold.