Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
PAYPAL~info just released for PAYPAL users/sellers >

PAYPAL~info just released for PAYPAL users/sellers

PAYPAL~info just released for PAYPAL users/sellers

Old 11-20-2010, 12:23 AM

Anyone who earns $20,000 income should have to report it, no matter how it's earned. Waiters and Waitresses have to report their tips as income. I don't see the difference, except that a person who sells on eBay and receives payments through PayPal doesn't stand on his/her feet and carry heavy food trays as a waiter or waitress does. $20,000 in earnings indicates a person has an eBay business, which isn't the same thing as a person selling outgrown clothes or items sold after a home decluttering.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:33 AM

I don't know, have you ever seen Hoarders? Some of those people could make 20K in a yard sale...
Old 11-20-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
Anyone who earns $20,000 income should have to report it, no matter how it's earned. Waiters and Waitresses have to report their tips as income. I don't see the difference, except that a person who sells on eBay and receives payments through PayPal doesn't stand on his/her feet and carry heavy food trays as a waiter or waitress does. $20,000 in earnings indicates a person has an eBay business, which isn't the same thing as a person selling outgrown clothes or items sold after a home decluttering.
This.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 AM

Technically even garage sale income is taxable. Virtually ANY income is considered taxable by the IRS. Granted, I doubt anyone ever reports this type of income. Any time anyone earns at least $600.00 or more lets say in contract wages, the payer is required to issue a 1099 for those wages. Just so you know....

Frankly, I am surprised that they placed the amount at $20,000. Many sellers will be fortunate there.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Born2Sew. I've always thought it wasn't fair that people didn't report "cash" income when they should.

I think this allows the casual seller to have a little extra$..but catches the ones who are truly running a business but haven't been paying their share.

I don't think it will effect many of the destashers on the board.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
I didn't read the whole thing word-by-word, but from the information at the top, it probably won't affect anyone here, unless you're an actual business or are a serious, serious destasher. ;)

o Receive more than $20,000 in gross payment volume in a single year, AND
o Receive 200 or more payments in a single year.

"And", not "or". That "and" helps the average destasher or casual seller a lot. :)
this is the way I read it also...we who only deal periodically or sell occasionally are not "dealers"....
Old 11-20-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
Originally Posted by moonrise
I didn't read the whole thing word-by-word, but from the information at the top, it probably won't affect anyone here, unless you're an actual business or are a serious, serious destasher. ;)

o Receive more than $20,000 in gross payment volume in a single year, AND
o Receive 200 or more payments in a single year.

"And", not "or". That "and" helps the average destasher or casual seller a lot. :)
this is the way I read it also...we who only deal periodically or sell occasionally are not "dealers"....
when we first got the info about this happening it stated "OR" and I believe there was so much static from the garage sale type person that it was changed to "AND". Ebay would have taken a massive hit losing all the garage salers.
Another thing to think about is that with our economy people have been making ends meet by what they are doing instead of going out and robbing people / places. They need to put food on the table.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I agree with Born2Sew. I've always thought it wasn't fair that people didn't report "cash" income when they should.

I think this allows the casual seller to have a little extra$..but catches the ones who are truly running a business but haven't been paying their share.

I don't think it will effect many of the destashers on the board.
sandpat, I agree with your opinion whole heartedly. Millions of dollars have been made and not paid taxes. wrong on so many levels.
I started selling off the contents of a 20' storage locker and needed an outlet to do it that would work for me. I didn't ask for the hit & run accident that disabled me and stuck me in a life where I couldn't afford to buy decent food to eat. I felt I had the right to sell my property for food and meds. and warm clothing.
Thankfully the storage is now almost empty and I don't have to worry about the changes but I literally had to list vintage quilts and a ton of other vintage linens for barely nothing just to get it done this year because of the changes that they changed anyhow.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:47 AM

This doesn't surprise me and I expected it was coming.

The good news is that it isn't going to affect us who sell occasionally on E Bay.

I used to sell lots of small items but only in my dreams did I ever gross $20,000!

(Like others have said, if they made the cash they need to pay the tax.....)
Old 11-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

don't we just LOVE our government changes? sigh. i just ignore them as best i can.