PBS Antique Roadshow

Old 05-24-2016, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Default PBS Antique Roadshow

Has anyone gone to a taping of the Antique Roadshow before?? I have tried to win tickets the last two times they came to Southern CA. I didn't win and neither did my best friend but my other friend DID! Trying to think of what to to take. It is going to be very HOT in Palm Springs in August.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 AM

No way I would stand in those long lines, in extreme heat, unless I had something I REALLY wanted appraised. Hope you can think of something to make it worth your while.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
No way I would stand in those long lines, in extreme heat, unless I had something I REALLY wanted appraised. Hope you can think of something to make it worth your while.
I do. I have a tea service that is pitch black when I inherited, also have a black German wooden flute. I inherited 7 watercolor paintings so I want to know how valuable my Great Uncle Irwin's (married my Grandfather's sister) paintings are worth or how to find out on the internet. When I die, with not children to inherit, they will be sold at auction because resale stores always undervalue art. I am not sure how much of the lines will be outside. I would assume that PS convention center is prepared for the heat and they have hosted the AR before. These are a few of the paintings I have, I think I will take the hummingbird. My friend who is taking me has nothing to take so I will be able to take two items for me and two items for my friend.
Attached Thumbnails big-sur.jpg   humming-birds.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM

I love those bird paintings - got a picture of the tea set?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I hope you get to go someday, Joellyn, it looks so fun!
I have a unique bracelet from a Yankee member of my mother's family I want to have appraised. The giver of the bracelet was a prisoner at Andersonville in the South; his wife sent gold coins to the commander to be used for her husband's care (he was a general I believe). He was released before all the money had been used so he took the coins home with him and designed a bracelet to showcase them. The bracelet is a long thin narrow piece of flattened gold, embossed with a design and with the engraved story I just told you on the inside of it. It wrapped around her arm (like a snake?) and the coins dangled loose from it. (I am SO blessed to have history and treasures like this bracelet and the 1780 quilt in my family. )

But there is one of the appraisers who often appears on Roadshow just 90 minutes from me. He is apparently "the best one" for appraising Civil War jewelry and antiques, so I hope to go visit the store soon and take my treasure with me, because the likelihood of having the show anywhere near me is nil!

You are so lucky to have the opportunity to be able to go.

Jan in VA
The bracelet link is not mine!! I can't seem to delete it.

Last edited by Jan in VA; 05-24-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:48 AM

I have a couple of very old quilts I would love it have appraised. Wish I could get tickets.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:48 AM

Love watching that show..especially the surprised looks on those faces. If you went and was told it truly was a $$$$ treasure, what would you do...sell or keep? I think, if I did, if it has some historical value, I would pursue the selling of it to a museum or whatever. If, just personal value, depending on what and value would determine if I would keep or not. Unfortunately, my belongings are like the ones at the end of the program.....maybe $1.98 on a good day!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:58 PM

I went three or four years ago with my mother. I was very surprised that we won tickets since so many people apply for them. You can only have 2 items appraised for each ticket, so we had a heck of a time narrowing down our choices from all the family antiques we have. A matching pair of items is considered one item, so I ended up taking a pair of china figures depicting Queen Victoria and her husband, Albert, and also a pottery figurine of a dog. All three have been in my mother's family since the 1860s (and have family stories to go with each), but none are labeled with a maker's name. My mother brought two antique dolls from her vast collection.

Turns out the matching pair will always be a mystery as they could have been made by any one of many pottery makers in the Staffordshire region of England. The dog was a big surprise...we thought he was English, but that pup is a German native! I don't remember now the monetary values as they will never be sold out of the family.

The experience was pretty terrific. Be prepared for crowds, but the degree of organization we saw at the Boston version was terrific. We were arranged by time of arrival, AND by the required times on our tickets. Lots of signs, and roping to prevent line jumpers. Bring your own food on the down low. The concession stands were well stocked, but very pricey.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:11 PM

Has anyone seen the UK version of Antiques Roadshow? That is where it started. Not only do they have a consistently better class of antiques (older country, after all), I love to see how reserved they are when someone tells them what a valuable treasure they have, and they are like, "thank you very much" in a very subdued tone.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 PM

I was lucky enough to win tickets for the show in Madison WI a few years ago. Glassbird described it perfectly. It was a fabulous experience!!! I took my Grandmother's pearl engagement ring that was passed down to me. Appraised value of ring and a cookie jar each worth $250. An amazing show, and so well organized.