Pergo/vinyl tile

Old 07-15-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Pergo/vinyl tile

I am in the process of replacing the flooring. Anyone have any pros or cons of pergo or what they call luxury vinyl tile?

Thanks.
Auntie M
Old 07-15-2016, 06:17 PM

LVT is the best thing in the flooring market, so versatile. I used Smartcore planks from Lowe's in a basement bathroom and now want to do the whole basement in it. Easy to install, feels great underfoot, looks fabulous!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 PM

We have the high end vinyl in the kitchen and one bathroom. It's 15 years old and still looks really good. The secret is that the color is all the way into the vinyl, not just on the surface. So if there's a scratch it doesn't show. We have the "regular" vinyl (white) in the other bathroom. There are small pits and scratches, so you can see the gray undercoat in those areas. Really ugly.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
LVT is the best thing in the flooring market, so versatile. I used Smartcore planks from Lowe's in a basement bathroom and now want to do the whole basement in it. Easy to install, feels great underfoot, looks fabulous!
Is it cold, we will be putting whatever we choose throughout the house over a crawl space.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Auntie M View Post
Is it cold, we will be putting whatever we choose throughout the house over a crawl space.
Can you put electric heating mats down underneath the new flooring? They are fairly affordable now, I think, and make for very comfortable rooms!
Old 07-16-2016, 04:10 AM

I've had Pergo laminate on my living room and hall floors for 7 years now and the first thing people comment about in our home is the floor, it's very beautiful and durable. I clean it with a solution of Murphy's Oil soap and water. There is a plank flooring sold by Lowe's that is water proof and is recommended for kitchens and baths, I bought ours at Lowe's. I don't think any of our plank or laminate is cold at all. I know my daughter had some sort of the luxury vinyl tile put down in her kitchen, it's squares that look like marble. It's quite pretty and she really likes it.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:13 AM

Wow, some good information here.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

When pergo first was introduced and my aunt had it installed she was really happy then had it installed throughout the entire house. She had a small leak in the bath and that stuff buckled up like no one's business. then another in the kitchen same thing. She yanked it up from the kitchen and her 2 baths. Not sure what she put down but then someone came in with high heels and sank through the laminate in her living room. Kids saw that and started pushing through the pergo. I know they have improved the quality but I'll stick to my hardwood floors and ceramic tile.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:29 AM

I absolutely love my Smartcore flooring (in Hickory) from Lowe's. I have it throughout my house - kitchen, bathrooms, sewing room, everywhere. Easy to clean and waterproof.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
i sold wood floors. Pergo i cheap. it's a piece of contact with plastic over it. a scratch, and it's done.
if you cannot afford hardwoods, get prefinihed. they are finished in the factory and cn be sanded or scraped down about 2-3 times. whereas unfinished, they sand stain and finish at your house. prefinished is cleaner at first because there is no dust floating around, and allergic smell too. any other questions, ask if i can help. good luck. oh they also have ceramic tiles that look like hand scraped floors now too.
I have the tiles in my kitchen because I love the wood look with the water damage. We've had them for several years, kitchen, thru dinette, half bath and laundry.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554032[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails index.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-16-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: to match edit of quote