Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
for the person wanting to make pincushions out of small ceramics. >

for the person wanting to make pincushions out of small ceramics.

for the person wanting to make pincushions out of small ceramics.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:09 PM

What a simply great idea and soooo cute! Once again, when I don't even know I am looking for something, someone on this board gives me an idea that I can use.

My clover pins are getting dull. I was considering how I could make something to use as a pincushion to stick them in to sharpen them. My idea was to use steel wool inside some type batting covered with cotton for a pin cushion. I was wondering what to use as the base. Now, I know. Thanks so much for posting this. Now, will the steel wool work as a sharpening agent? I've got to go test that out.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 09-04-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:28 AM

My idea was to use steel wool inside some type batting this. Now, will the steel wool work as a sharpening agent? I've got to go test that out.[/QUOTE]

Yes this does work as I have at least one I have made, not with steel wool but with a steel scrubbers from the Dollar Tree. One thing, don't use left over cotton batting inside the pin cushion as for some reason, probably the scrim, the pins don't go through it very easy. I wrap the scrubber, which I cut down to a smaller piece in a piece of cotton fabric and then in some poly stuffing for the body of the cushion.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:35 AM

What is E6000 glue?
Old 09-06-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
What is E6000 glue?
It is an all purpose gel type glue that comes in a squeeze tube. It will adhere soft to hard, as in the pin cushions fiber to glass, or as in collage metal charms to basically paper. It will dry hard, it is thick and it is very versatile. It is readily available anywhere craft supplies are sold. I consider it a must have glue in my crafting supplies, but as a collage, assemblage crafter I admit to being glue obsessed. I probably have as much in the way of glue types as sewing notions. A glue for everything and every glue available, all except for glue stick....in my humble opinion unless you are doing a simple craft project with a child and don't need for it to last long don't use glue stick. It may say permanent but there is nothing permanent about it.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:23 AM

I wasn't asking but am sure glad you posted a picture. From now on I will be checking out the ceramics and tea cups at the second hand store. Thank you for posting the info.