Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Pet responsibility projects >

Pet responsibility projects

Pet responsibility projects

Old 04-09-2017, 05:04 AM

I checked out the key fobs and they are darling.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:35 AM

I like the idea of iron-on or sew on patches that could be adhered to their back packs that said, "Love your pet!" in neon colors. Also, like the idea of the key fobs if they could easily be attached to their back packs.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:59 AM

The key fobs are sooooooo cute!! Make me one LOL!!

http://www.newfoundapplique.com/key-fobs/
Old 04-09-2017, 12:23 PM

I think you are wonderful to help support your friend in this.

I really like the idea of the key fobs. You could find the hardware on amazon or ebay along with the webbing. And finding ribbon with a pet theme should be fairly easy. Sew the ribbon to the webbing, cut to the appropriate length, and then attach to the hardware. I made some of these for my great niece and her friends and they loved them and most still have them 3 years later.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:34 PM

How about small bags for poo bags, plastic bags, or cat treats?
Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 PM

You need to ask your friend how many students she talks to and the age group. But it is a great idea to have a reminder to take from the talk. My daughter teaches 4 grade (she has also taught 5th and 6th) and they love the bookmarks I make for them at Christmas. (They still read books - they check them out at the school library and many buy them from Scholastic Books.) This year I also made Happy St. Patrick's Day badges out of felt for them to wear on St. Patrick's Day - the kids were so jazzed. (Everyone had some green that day.)

I do like the key fob idea too. (It would go a lot faster.) And if you add a couple of bells on them with a ribbon the kids go crazy. Bells and key rings are very reasonable from the Oriental Trading Company. (We order from them when making the Jingle Grams at Christmas for the student body to sell at Christmas.) Oh, and pencil toppers - would be fun too.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 04-09-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:26 AM

Fabric tags would be a fast project using pet theme fabric. The students can use them names or their pet names inside the tags. It would be a fun reminder of the class.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...s-t274292.html
Old 04-10-2017, 05:03 AM

I do like the idea of giving them something to remember this by. While I think FOB are cute, most 4th graders aren't carrying keys yet to be able to use them. My 4th grader would have it lost fast. The bags are cute and maybe your friend could include some pamphlets in them. The patches could be cute as well. Just remember that even though its great for your friend to teach these kids this not all of them own or will own pets in the immediate future, especially if they don't have much now. Now if you could find a small in the hoop puppy and put it on the fob, that would be cute. The in the hoop things are great and easy to make. Good luck and its good for you to be helping out as well as your friend.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 AM

You are wonderful to help the animals. When I first moved to Birmingham, Alabama there was a group (FCDF) who went to the schools to educate the kids about responsible pet ownership and they took small stuffed cat or dog faces. I volunteered to stuff them and sew them shut. And I made a few more. The simpler the better. I used a flair pen. Trace a cat head, draw the eyes, a nose, (a heart is cute) and below the heart nose a "J" with the bottom of the J going to the right on one side and the left on the other side. Then draw a few whiskers each side. The dog could be 2 squares of fabric with eyes and a nose and a mouth and after turning with fronts facing each other to sew (like a pillow) you can insert a floppy ear on each upper corner. if you wish. Turn right side out and stuff and sew opening shut. Often I sew around the cat face , stuff, sew shut and trim around the face with pinking scissors. I'm putting all this here so maybe someone else will be inspired to make some for their local need. They can't be too ugly because it will be determined to be adorable, no matter what it looks like. You can use up your scraps and it is not a toy and not for children who might suck on it because of the ink but it is an inexpensive reminder of the lesson someone cared enough to share with them.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Default Gift for kids

Originally Posted by Kathy T. View Post
How about keyring fobs? Something like these:
http://www.newfoundapplique.com/key-fobs/
I think the key ring fobs would be great as the children love hanging things on their backpacks. At least the fourth graders around here like to do it.