Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Phew!  I barely dodge this time. >

Phew! I barely dodge this time.

Phew! I barely dodge this time.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

We caught 2 of our semi-feral barn cats by using food and a dog cage. After feeding daily for a while near an open dog cage , we then began to move the dish closer to the cage every day or so, eventually putting it right on the edge inside the open door.

After a week of doing that, we moved the bowl deeper inside until it was against the back wall. Then, when we could, we slammed the door and took the cat to the vet for the local Catch/Neuter/Release program. I thought for sure they'd never come back to the house after that treatment, but they did as if nothing had happened!

Food is a major incentive, ask me how I know, LOL!

Jan in VA
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 AM

My daughter has 15 feral cats that she trapped and had neutered. They have a kitty condo made from a porch and enclosed. They can be entertaining to watch and no critters to contend with out here in the country where mice can be a problem.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
We had a similar story years ago. We contacted The Shamrock Foundation and they paid for the neutering/fixing of the kittens, gave us a big bag of food and two bowls to feed them. They said it was better to bring them back to familiar surroundings. They ended up coming into our house and liked it, but they always wanted out too. They were very special to us.
Thanks for doing your part in helping this cirlce of life pattern to end. If only more would help.
is the Shamrock foundation only in your state ?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Your story was so familiar to me! My sister is know as "the cat lady" it seems as though everyone around knows she will care for them. She has taken so many cats to her veterinarian that the vet now spays or neuters them for her free as long as she finds them a good and caring home. So far so good. Thank God for people like you as well as my sister.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 AM

We met a couple from St. Augustine, FL on a cruise this year, who sponsor a yearly round up of feral cats for neutering (they pay for the neutering and check up to assure they are healthy). The sad thing is that they do about 50 a year, which means other people are being irresponsible or the number would not stay steady. The small community I live has had a terrible time with feral and had set up program with the local rescue site. But certain people let them out of the traps. Rabies is a problem in our county so they are only indulging themselves and not helping the poor cats or their neighbors human and animal (pets and wild).
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM

It has always been a rule at our house that all pets must be spayed or neutered. When my son was about 3, we were at the vet's with our newest addition waiting for them to come take her back. An elderly gentlemen was waiting also and asked my son what was wrong with his cat. Imagine my horror when he replied, "nothing is wrong with her. We're just having her spayed so she won't have any kittens. Did you know my mama got spayed, too? Now she won't have any babies or kittens, either." I wanted to crawl under a chair. I would have, too, if I hadn't still been sore from just having my tubes tied!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 AM

You are a great person for doing this.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM

Great work. I love cats, but my husband says he doesn't. Thank you for making life a lot easier for the cats. They are a lot healthier and happier being spayed or neutered.