Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Phone SCAM alert - IRS final notice >

Phone SCAM alert - IRS final notice

Phone SCAM alert - IRS final notice

Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Default Phone SCAM alert - IRS final notice

Ladies and gentlemen,

In the last two days, I received two 'final notice' phone messages allegedly from the IRS. It says that if I don't respond to the message, a law suit will be filed against me.

The entire phone message is computer generated and the phone number it says to call starts as "02".

Either the scammer made a mistake when the fake phone number to call was inserted into the message and left out a digit, or the number is an international number.

It doesn't really matter, though, because the call is NOT from the IRS, and is also not a final notice. No name is mentioned in the phone message - mine or the person to call or even a department to call.

Bottom line, if you get a call like this one and it scares you, look up a real phone number for the IRS and call it to find out if there is any kind of claim against you by the IRS.

There are warnings about scams like this IRS web site: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-...Telephone-Scam
Old 11-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

My girlfriend got that call and called her accountant who told her it was a scam. Thanks for reminding us.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

thanks. i'm still trying to contact a human being at Xfinity Comcast on my "upgraded modem" required for my internet service they provide.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

"Tis the Season" for it to just escalate! I keep getting phone calls from unavailable and restricted and few others. I let them all go to voice mail.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:38 PM

Got one today. He certainly sounded very foreign. Told him I didn't know the IRS let people work for them that couldn't speak English plainly. He hung up on me. How rude!!!!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 PM

My husband has gotten 2 calls from the people telling us our computer contacted them about this horrible problem. He said, Really? Started acting all concerned how could that be? My husband loves to run these folks around, starts off like he believes them, then tells them the computer is in the barn so he will check it out when he is out in the barn. The first time I heard him say it was in the barn, I thought he was going off the deep end - we live in the city and do not have a barn.

If I happen to answer the phone and one of the scammers are there I ask for the phone number so I can report it to the police. And then they hang up on me. So rude!!!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:46 AM

We don't answer the phone unless it registers someone we know. Anyone else gets to leave a message and we return the call, if appropriate.

But this week we got a new one: The sender on the phone listed us as the caller, complete name and phone number as if we were calling ourselves from our own phone. Weird. Of course, we did not leave ourselves any message, so who knows who (or what machine) was calling! Am curious if anyone else has had this happen!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:26 AM

Yes, it happens to me all the time. My caller ID comes up on the TV... first time I saw that I was calling myself, I just about fell off my chair laughing! I don't know what these scammers will come up with next. It is pretty scary, though, that some people still believe all these scams.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:27 AM

If you don't know the number, do not answer. IF it is important, they will leave a message. If they continue to call, block the number. (If you don't know or remember how, call your phone company.)
Old 11-19-2014, 07:28 AM

I am laughing out loud at your all's answers to this problem this morning. Y'all are thinking on your feet every minute. He hung up on you......I really got a laugh out of that one.