Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Photo Sofware? What do you use? >

Photo Sofware? What do you use?

Photo Sofware? What do you use?

Old 06-01-2016, 10:59 AM

Default Photo Sofware? What do you use?

After Google quit supporting Picasa I am wondering what software is reliable for saving my photos to on my desktop pc? I don't want to spend a fortune but would like fairly easy and be able to put like photos in folders. Somewhat mid range cost to free. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM

Why not put your photos in folders on a flash drive.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
After Google quit supporting Picasa I am wondering what software is reliable for saving my photos to on my desktop pc? I don't want to spend a fortune but would like fairly easy and be able to put like photos in folders. Somewhat mid range cost to free. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you.
i never used picasa, tho friends tried to talk me into trying it over the years and ..because i am anti all things google. well, i do use google earth to wander the planetary surface, & it's come in handy a few times to find my son

i think picasa had image editing capability as well as nice file system for organizing. i like making files ..my files have files ..even my bookmarks are files w/in files w/in ..... but as donnajean notes, for quick & easy sorting and finding ...use a flash drive. also, when using an online photo server like picasa, webshots, photobucket & many many others, if site goes down ..you lose your photos. they're safer on pc. on my pc i just make a special location on the c-drive. then w/in there i make files and sort all pics into appropriate files. ie -quilts, furballs, grands, etc. for image manipulation i use a free download from irfanview -- http://www.irfanview.com

search page with more links to irfabview downloads etc .....

https://ixquick.com/do/search?cat=we...1&t=night&nj=0

photoshop plug-ins are compatible w the irfanview. make slide shows etc. all free & after 20 yrs of using it, i've never had a virus, malware, or any type of bug attached to updates etc. my pc guy even re-installed it on my new pc after building for me. said he saw it on my pld pc. said he used it on his own pc & that it was sn impressive program for free. but he didn't know about the slide shows. it's a nice program ..try it.

Last edited by roguequilter; 06-01-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 AM

I use Photo Elements by Adobe to clip, enhance and resize. Simple , cheap. one time charge of $70.00 (with 2 licences to use on 2 computers) And Photo Bucket (free website) to store my photos
Old 06-01-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean View Post
Why not put your photos in folders on a flash drive.
I used to do this and it works great. Now I have a passport external hard drive that holds tons of stuff so I just keep them on my computer with a copy on the passports. I have 3 for the office and rotate them out.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:22 PM

My computer - still using Windows 7 as an operating system - functions such that when I download from my camera, it automatically creates a folder with that day's date and stores all the photos there. I can then open any photo in the resident viewer. Not sure if it's adobe or not. Nothing I'm looking at on the computer is jumping out at me as the correct one at the moment, sorry. I then can simply use the OS tools to copy/move to a flash drive or external hard drive; copy to CD/DVD; whatever.

No fees of any sort.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

i miss the picassa add on, but i still use picassa. i'm sure there is something out there that is easier to use, but i don't want to learn something new. i resize my photos in paint.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:01 AM

I still use Picasa, it is easy to use, makes beautiful collages, and I can store pictures on my pc or on a flash drive. Does anyone know of a free software that is like Picasa
Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Right now I save photos when I download them on my computer and cannot find them. They used to go straight to Picasa. I am taking my computer in to get cleaned up so maybe he can help tell me where my photos are. I am using Windows 8.1 and it has been working fine until I ran into problems with Google. Yuk.

I do need to buckle down and learn how to work with flash drives. I guess it is partly a matter of learning to trust them. lol

New technology: I have a love/hate relationship with.

A friend yesterday told me about iMemories, so I might look into that. Again, thank you for your help. It is so nice to count on my QB friends!
Old 06-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Try Evernote... it's like pinterest only not so public... it's free and easy to use.