Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pillowcase question

Pillowcase question

I'm working with a group of kids to make pillowcases for our hospital children's house. Using the basic pattern as posted on All People Quilt: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millio...s/RollItUp.pdf

If you have done this, please tell me if there is any reason why you need to do the French seam for the sides first, and then the bottom. If you go down the side, then pivot with needle down, then do the bottom, can't you turn it outside in and do the same again?
    We ARE going to do the French seams, as we think it's important, though I know some people don't. It's a question of the order of doing things. I've tried it and it seems to work ok that way, but maybe there is a reason the pattern says what it does.
    Thank you if you are knowledgeable about this and can advise me.

Blog Entries
    I do the French seam side and bottom at the same time. If the fabric is not squared up and the seams are not cut straight then I guess that's why they do them individually. But I would think the corner would be really thick and hard to sew.
    Joyce

Blog Entries
    I do my French seams all at once also. I do trim the corners after i sew them wrong sides together and before I turn them inside out to do the French seam. Reduces the bulk in the corners.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Excellent! Just what I needed. Thank you both.

Blog Entries
    They've updated their directions - very child friendly. I don't like to change directions on students, but I only French seam the hem/contrast area on my pillowcases. I think the corners look better from the outside and no raw edges are exposed on the open end.

I use the method Jenny Doan uses on the Missouri Star Quilt Company on utube. Very fast and easy.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My grandkids learned to sew using this method - they really had a good time and did such good jobs and they treasure their pillowcases.

I have made many of these. Do the roll up first, then French seam side, then French seam top. Using French seam it looks so much better & all raw edges are hidden, preventing any raveling.

My sewing group made 55 pillowcases for our local children's hospital. We serged the side and bottom seams but we also tacked the leader and ending piece of serging so it wouldn't unravel. We used the "hot dog" method for the cuff of the pillowcase. Some of the ladies did French seams instead of serging. They all turned out great and I'm sure the kid's loved them.
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!

when i make pillowcases i use the hot dog pillowcase pattern and it has french seams and is easy.. smile... good luck