Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
And pillowcases complete the grandgirls' Christmas gifts.... >

And pillowcases complete the grandgirls' Christmas gifts....

And pillowcases complete the grandgirls' Christmas gifts....

Old 11-26-2016, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Those are beauties. I made some for a friend's granddaughters using a winter print...hubs decided he liked them! Next time I'll use pints like you did.
I'm guessing you are making these for king size pillows. Jenny from Missouri Star on Youtube measures the main body at 27inches, the cuff at 9 inches with a 2 1/2 inch flange. My problem is finding fabric at 45 inches wide...much of it is now about 42 inches and taking off the selvedge makes it even less. Tough to get "fat" pillows to fit.
Anyway, those grands will think these are the best ever and they'll get tons of use. :-)

I sometimes leave the selvedge on and sew my seam on the selvedge line then trim the excess then I get the full width of the fabric and on pillowcases it won't matter so much.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

lovely!! i'm about to make myself two pillowcases from some lovely fabric I don't want to cut up!!
Old 11-26-2016, 10:05 AM

So pretty! Colors are very girly which I love. I am also making some pillowcases for gifts. So quick & easy & make great gifts.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Those are beauties. I made some for a friend's granddaughters using a winter print...hubs decided he liked them! Next time I'll use pints like you did.
I'm guessing you are making these for king size pillows. Jenny from Missouri Star on Youtube measures the main body at 27inches, the cuff at 9 inches with a 2 1/2 inch flange. My problem is finding fabric at 45 inches wide...much of it is now about 42 inches and taking off the selvedge makes it even less. Tough to get "fat" pillows to fit.
Anyway, those grands will think these are the best ever and they'll get tons of use. :-)
No--regular pillows. I didn't use wof because it wasn't long enough. Plus I had to go the other direction for the body. I didn't dare try wof if it's 42 or under.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by KnitnutBZ View Post
I sometimes leave the selvedge on and sew my seam on the selvedge line then trim the excess then I get the full width of the fabric and on pillowcases it won't matter so much.
Are they big enough if you do that? It's sure be much easier than going the other way.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum View Post
Are they big enough if you do that? It's sure be much easier than going the other way.
Unless you have overly plump pillows they always have for me. I've made lots of them and no one has complained so far. That sounds like way too much work and fabric cost to widen them.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by KnitnutBZ View Post
Unless you have overly plump pillows they always have for me. I've made lots of them and no one has complained so far. That sounds like way too much work and fabric cost to widen them.
Thanks! Next time....
Old 01-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Love the fabrics in these! I am sure they will contribute to many sweet dreams for those gorgeous girls.