Pizza boxes

Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

i was getting them free one at a time for a bit- then one of the (family friend kids) went to work at a pizza place & i asked about purchasing a bunch---the owner was nice enough to order me a bundle of 50 large boxes- with no logo---for $20 ... i like the idea of using the adhesive plastic- i used fabric to cover a few- but the plastic would be easier...and just as nice.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

CKCowl ... sometimes I fight with the plastic! ... but it's prettier, so well worth it!

DHMom ... yup, holds it all together and avoids that slip sliding away that can happen. Totally designed by moi! No copyright though!

Now here's chuckle for you ....
........... one time I took a "naked" pizza box to the LQS, and some lady thought it was disgusting that I would use an "used" box for my blocks. Hellloooooo ... do you see any pizza stains. I've never gotten pizza without! I decided then, that the plastic adhesive was a must do!

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-21-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 AM

I started doing this as a tip from my teacher when doing the watercolor quilts. I even covered them with contact paper for looks and stability
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 AM

It is good to line the pizza box with paper towel that is made for microwaves. It is acid free. This makes it good for the fabric, especially if it is left in the box for a while.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 AM

I am using several. If there are any grease stains, I just cover the bottom with foil... Great for keeping finished blocks flat....
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 AM

At our quilt guild we have a Pizza Box Challenge. Those taking part brought in a pizza box with a block pattern and fabric they would like to see in all of the blocks. At each meeting boxes are exchanged and you get to make a block for someone else based on the theme they have chosen. You use a piece of their fabric and some from your own stash to complete their block. It is a lot of fun because so far the blocks I have made I have not done before and when finished I will have a quilt with the work of others. Being a new guild member it is a nice way of getting to know your quilting friends.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 AM

Bought mine at Sam's club. The local pizza place said they had to account for theirs at inventory time. Now I have plenty for quilting and other crafty things. So far, there are thirteen stacked and filled with projects
Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Brought my blocks to quilt in a Johnny's Pizza box and was quickly informed I'd better have pizza next time I brought a box like that in! It is best to disguise the box!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by overdew View Post
Brought my blocks to quilt in a Johnny's Pizza box and was quickly informed I'd better have pizza next time I brought a box like that in! It is best to disguise the box!
Sounds like my bunch. haha One time I sprinkled cinnamon in a pie pan and put it in the oven with some other stuff that was cooking. My husband came home, sniffed, then asked where the apple pie was. Needless to say, he wasn't a happy camper. haha
Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM

great idea with the cover up with contact and love the idea of using ribbon, shoe lace for securing.....thanks.....