Plant for birds?

Old 09-16-2013, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Default Plant for birds?

I have a row of the multi head sunflowers planted for the gold finches in my yard. I intend to plant 2 rows next year because I love watching them come for the seeds. I tried planting the 1 head big sunflowers but the squirrels take over those. Does anyone else plant for wildlife?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

We have honeysuckle and humming bird feeder out front. We are very entertained while watching them from the dinner table. Helps to make the dinner more digestible. Helps eliminate the everyday stress.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 AM

I don't deadhead the black eyed susan flowers. The goldfinches in perch on the stalks and eat the seeds.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I feed all the wild birds, gourmet bird seed fruit and nuts mixture. Finch food, and hummingbird food. We have rose bush and honeysuckle bush, it attracts hummingbirds and butterflies. I keep a filled birdbath too. I fill a small feeder for the little birds also.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 AM

Indeed we do!!

Hummingbirds - Trumpet vine, petunia, Lillies and discovered they love one particular Budlea (a white one)
Finches (purple, gold and regular house finches) - Rudbeckia (4-5 varieties), Gourds (they don't eat the, they just love hanging out in them!)
Butterflies - Budlea (3 varieties), Seedum, milk weed (kept in check and "quarantined").

And our favorites this year are the "hummingbird" moths ... they love our petunias, seedum, budlea and gourds. The smaller ones are out in broad daylight, and we get 3 or 4 large "Sphinx" moths that come out around dusk. All of them will also hang out at the hummingbird feeder and the Hummingbirds allow it, but are wickedly territorial if another hummingbird comes along.

We keep several bird feeders as well, both regular seed, suet, and hummer feeders. The feeders are positioned so that we have full view of them through windows on opposite sides of the dining table. Some people watch TV while dining, we watch birds.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:03 AM

I have five bird feeders and have been trying to grow flowers, for the hummingbirds. Between dh using Round-Up (drifting from nearby areas) and the severe heat of this region, the plants haven't been doing very well. Add to that, our well water is alkaline, so I have to use collected rain water, for the more sensitive ones. Next spring, I may throw down mass quantities of wildflower seed, then just hope for the best.