postage

Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
Sound off base to me! Talk about gouging!

It would have been better to use the flat rate envelopes or the flat rate boxes for lots of stuff...you can stuff the envelope full to the brim and it's only 4.99 and it goes priority and so does the box for 14.00 I think.....I use those whenever I can. I also use the 9x11 tyvek envelopes and those go first class mail, a good price....
Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM

true, that is what the post master said.
No one gets passes his slot box without going through it.
It was 6 0z. not 3 oz. envelople 6x9 not 5x7.
Then he said their no postage paid on it. A printed black
and white stamp thing, but no 1.75 on it.
Makes you wander.. Pay pal will take care of it,
sender said she paid 1.75 out of my 3.50.
and post office 5.31. I just hope sender will put things in
postal envelopes and boxes. Say what it cost, and shipping
price and if need be handling for envelope,etc.
Seems post office has more rules than I thought. I like ups myself, I package myself to make sure it is good and safe.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by sherian
true, that is what the post master said.
No one gets passes his slot box without going through it.
It was 6 0z. not 3 oz. envelople 6x9 not 5x7.
Then he said their no postage paid on it. A printed black
and white stamp thing, but no 1.75 on it.
Makes you wander.. Pay pal will take care of it,
sender said she paid 1.75 out of my 3.50.
and post office 5.31. I just hope sender will put things in
postal envelopes and boxes. Say what it cost, and shipping
price and if need be handling for envelope,etc.
Seems post office has more rules than I thought. I like ups myself, I package myself to make sure it is good and safe.
I like the "FREE SHIPPING" items, at least then I know the real cost of the item is all I'm paying. On the flip side, for many things purchased on line, I'm sure the cost of shipping is saving me not only what I'd pay for gas, but also from buying some of those impulse items AND a stop at McDonalds - Taco Bell or Arbys :!: :roll: :lol:
Old 10-09-2011, 11:20 PM

I had something similar happen once. The seller sent my win in two seperate envelopes as she figured it would be cheaper. It arrived with $8.00+ postage due. I went into the post office and had the clerk show me the packages, weigh them, compare the weight paid for and the actual weight. I thanked him, and let him know I would be back. I left without the packages (money was due on both) and immediately contacted my seller to let her know there was an issue. She was very polite, though I'm sure not pleased. The problem with my packages was there was a discrepancy between the USPS scale and hers. She agreed to reimburse me the extra postage I would have to pay. I bailed my packages out the next day, and she immediately repaid me. I of course offered to scan my receipt and send it to her to verify that postage was indeed due, but she declined. Everything turned out well in the end. Ultimately it is the seller's responsibility that appropriate postage is paid. I would contact ebay and follow their recommendation like I did. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 AM

I do have the receit, and pay pal will have the figure it
out Wennie (seller) said she paid a 1.75 and has been doing it and made no error. Next time I will do as you say NOT accept AND LET HER KNOW.I did not know you could have post office hold it for you. Maybe rural post have more time to check things out, who knows. Don't care about the 3.50
I paid, I figure it as shipping and handling. But the 5.31 for an error on her part, should taken into account for me
and others she ships to. But a pay pal in this case is a good thing. people need to make money and customers need to be treated fairly.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:50 AM

What was on the outside of your envelope? That should tell you what the sender paid.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:15 PM

There was nthing on the outside for postage, the postmaster, said how do you know what has been paid,
there is no markings. But there was a black & white
swirly thing like a stamp, but no postage paid marked.
she said she paid 1.75, I guess she did. but it was over 5x7
and over 3 oz. marked he said it was 6 oz. It would not go through his slot thing.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM

I am sorry you have had to go through this "learning" experience. Hopefully the seller or Pay Pal will make it right for you.

It happens to all of us sooner or later. I had sent some thing to Washington only to have it returned Medium Flat Rate box when it would have fit into a flat rate envelope. I had to pay a lot extra and was not pleased.

And, just the other day I learned that my own scale was not up to date. I had thought I just did that late June, but already rates had changed again. The post office set me straight and I came home and downloaded new rates immediately.

Good luck with your patterns!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Sorry to hear about your mail and postage it is a little thing.
but it sure isn't fair, but what is. I will just not except next time.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I'm very glad this thread was posted. I though I understood pretty much all of the intricacies of mailing through the Post Office... but I did not know about the metal clasp turning the package into a non-machineable one (and hence an added cost). We use those clasp envelopes all the time for our first-class packages. But we never bother to use the clasp for closure. We just fold the flap over and tape it down. So we are taping over the clasp. Nothing has ever been returned to us, and none of our customers have reported receiving the envelopes postage due.

I'll have to check www.usps.com to see if they say anything about the clasps.

You learn something every day!