pregnancy aches.... ideas?

Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 AM

Ok, the short version is I'm 6mo pregnant and I know it's 'supposed' to make you a bit sore and uncomfortable. I also know there are a lot of people here with kids. Soooooooo, Anyone here have advice as to a good way to get comfortable enough to sleep at night. I currently weigh 15lbs more than I've ever weighed in my life and I think my body objects ;). Unfortuneately my doctor is thrilled that I'm gaining exactly what I should :lol:. My back and knees are just sore enough to keep me up and I'm keeping DH up.

Any help is appreciated,
Cheryl
Old 05-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I found it most helpful to sleep on my side with a pillow under the upper knee. best of luck
Old 05-12-2011, 07:02 AM

I walked more when I was pregnant. The extra exercise made me more tired and kept my joints from getting sore.

Also, try getting a body pillow, they helped a ton with getting into the perfect position for sleeping.

Sorry, that is all I have. I was miserable both times, but the end product is worth it. :)
Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 AM

Have you tried soaking in a warm bath before bed? Maybe some warm milk (for drinking, not soaking:)) You could ask your doctor or midwife about the use of Tylenol or Tylenol PM for occasional use. How about sitting up in a recliner to sleep. Heating pads or cold packs on the sore area.

I worked Labor and Deliver for 24 for years (I'm an RN) and your complaints are not unusual so at least know you are in good company.

Good luck! I'll add more suggestions if I think of anything.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

When my back ached, due to all the extra weight in the front, I took a fanny-pack and filled it with rolls of quarters, and wore that in back. Kind of a counterbalance.

It was quick, low-tech, I already had the fanny-pack, and I was able to spend the money afterwards.

:thumbup:

If you're able to reduce the ache during the day, you might be able to sleep better at night.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:53 AM

I had 5 children and the last one made me very uncomfortable. The only way I could sleep some weeks was to sleep in a recliner. I hope you aren't working during the day because if you can't sleep at night then you need to get a nap during the day. Try everything. A comfortable sleep bra, pillows supporting knees, tummy, reading a dull book, etc. What works this week may not work in two weeks time, but conversely what doesn't work now may work like a charm in a week or two. Tell your doctor - he/she should be a good partner in your well being and sleep in SO important.
I would guess a lot of your discomfort is based on the position of your baby and you can't do anything about that, but I found that talking to the baby and playing music for him helped both of us to settle down. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:53 AM

So, I guess I'm making a body pillow...... to the sewing room! LOL

Taking tylenol fairly regularly but the heating pads are a no go according to my OB. The milk and bath sound good and I'll try the recliner.

Thanks everyone, and keep them coming I'll take all the help I can get :).

Cheryl
Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Hope your pregnancy is going well otherwise - - -

Why "no" to heating pads?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:30 AM

i would sujest going to a cyropractor that specailizes in working with pregnant women. i did that when i was pregnant with my second child and it realy helped and it also made my labor shorter. also a body pillow is a big help and if you can get your hubby to massage your back it might make you sleep better at night. Hope somthing works for you i know it can get realy tiring not getting enough sleep and if your to tired you might have a longer labor and thats no fun. exercise is good to as long as you have no complications.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM

OB says no on heating pads because "it's bad for the baby. Your body temp is already high and if we raise it anymore it will harm the baby." I don't know if she's being extra careful or I'm uniquely warm, but I'm pretty sure my temp will raise in a couple months any way :). (Summer in upstate NY..... ugh :P).