Presents for the guys

Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 PM

Default Presents for the Guys

My newly single son moved to Hawaii, after getting rid of everything except a few things. But he loves to watch
his games on TV with the AC on..so since he's a minimalist, I'm making him a black and white couch throw. About
a hundred 3 inch squares of every small black and white patterns I could find over a year or so. And since he's so
tall, it'll be about 6 by 5, with no padding, just the front and a black with white spots fleece backing. Easy to wash
and no fussy things on it.

I'm thinking of making my retired Army son-in-law (who is now a math teacher) some school room curtains
with math problems (and answers scattered around on them) for his school room. Just in the wondering stage,
not too sure it would be allowed..have to check on that. Any ideas on this? 8th graders might not be amused!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:27 AM

A small pouch that holds a gift card from Home Depot, Lowe's or Best buy.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:37 AM

CD holders that fit over the sun visor in the car were a hit one year. Afghans in a pine cone motif were appreciated.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
CD holders that fit over the sun visor in the car were a hit one year. Afghans in a pine cone motif were appreciated.

Oh please do show us ... I totally intrigued to see a pine cone afghan!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 AM

My guys might be totally different from most but they have a tendency to lose things. Keys, phones, flashlights,...their minds. The last, I can't help them with but for the others, I make them door hangers. I use recycled pants pockets and a piece of suitable fabric for the backing. If you are putting just three pockets on it, you can put a hole in the top, to fit the doorknob. If you are putting more pockets on it, you can make it to fit a hanger.
I, also make lounge pants, boxer shorts, throws, and 5 gallon bucket covers with pockets. These all go over very well and are requested when they finally get worn out. They last much longer than store bought items.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd View Post
My newly single son moved to Hawaii, after getting rid of everything except a few things. But he loves to watch
his games on TV with the AC on..so since he's a minimalist, I'm making him a black and white couch throw. About
a hundred 3 inch squares of every small black and white patterns I could find over a year or so. And since he's so
tall, it'll be about 6 by 5, with no padding, just the front and a black with white spots fleece backing. Easy to wash
and no fussy things on it.

I'm thinking of making my retired Army son-in-law (who is now a math teacher) some school room curtains
with math problems (and answers scattered around on them) for his school room. Just in the wondering stage,
not too sure it would be allowed..have to check on that. Any ideas on this? 8th graders might not be amused!
For your son-in-law......Maybe a wicker basket full of bean bags to toss at some of those unruly 8th graders......LOL
Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

While I was on a clothesline basket binge, I made both my husband and son an oblong basket for throwing their wallet and keys into. They both loved them and I loved not getting the top of furniture scratched up. I made them about 5 inches wide, 10 inches long with the sides about 1,1/2 to 2 inches. I try to stick to things that are handy for the men in my life so they get used.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM

Food. Food. Food. FOOD.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM

Fleece blanket with fringe on 2 ends. They are really easy to make. Get fleece that depicts an interest they have, or camo fleece, which I made one year, and added a pair of matching socks that I purchased. I made the blanket extra long so he could cover from his feet to his chin while laying in the recliner.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
Food. Food. Food. FOOD.
And here I thought that was a given ... non-negotiable!