Preserving Flowers

Old 06-11-2011, 04:30 PM

What is the best way that you save flowers from special events or funerals? I have frozen them and still today have them in my freezer but don't know what would become of them if I take them out. I have a couple that I tied together with yarn and laid them on a shelf to dry.
Someone said to press them in a book, hang them upside down to dry and I thought that years ago there was some sort of sand stuff you put them in and I think it was to preserve the colors I think. Also someone said that when the flowers fall apart save them till they turn to seed and plant them.
If you save flowers what is it that you do or like best. I have some flowers from my mothers funeral that I would like to do something with for my sister and brothers. The roses are already not looking so good.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:43 PM

It is called Silica Sand....I know that you can get it online...but I think you can purchase it at Michaels....

I tried it in the past, and it worked OK...I thought that the flowers lost color, but it might have been me...It has been many years since I tried it... so I would assume that it is improved.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I've used silica gel for years to preserve flowers. You can use it over and over by drying it in a low oven before starting a new batch of flowers.
Some flowers retain their color better than others. I would google how to use this method for best results. It's trial and error but if you enjoy doing it, it's a lot of fun and you get better with practice.
Another nice way (but the results look different) is hanging flowers to dry. Again, some turn out better than others.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:35 AM

Silica sand/gel is great. We had daughter's wedding bouquet professionally done and it turned out beautiful. You could also press between wax paper sheets stacking as many heavy books as possible on top for several weeks; or buy an inexpensive flower press at Michael's/some craft store. Pressed flowers make beautiful pictures, bookmarks, etc.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 AM

I found that the best way is in a picture!