Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Prince Edward Island Vacation >

Prince Edward Island Vacation

Prince Edward Island Vacation

Old 07-10-2017, 06:08 AM

Default Prince Edward Island Vacation

To my Canadian friends or others who have visited there. My three daughters and I are thinking about a vacation the summer of 2018 to PEI. We are all "mature" adults. (I'm 72) . Are there must sees or recommendations or should we pick another site to visit? I've just always thought PEI would be beautiful. We have varied interests. We will probably be planning the trip ourselves. Thanks! Phyllis
Old 07-10-2017, 06:23 AM

Honestly, Mopec, you cannot loose visiting anywhere in Canada. PEI is a dream, as is British Columbia! You are going to love it! Lucky you!

I'm Canadian and have never visited the Maritimes, but one day I will.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:19 AM

We visited PEI with our children. I don't remember a lot of the places we visited and I guess it would depend on your likes/dislikes. I loved Anne of Green Gables site and the lobster meal we had one evening at a large hall was superb....expensive but worth it, as you could have seconds/thirds of all the homemade salads, preserves and desserts. We stayed near Cavendish Beach and just being near the beach was a big plus for us. We had an efficiency unit and cooked our big breakfast every morning and made sandwiches to take during the day if we went sightseeing. The beach area near the hotel had bbq pits so we often had bbq in evenings or a beach fire at night to roast wieners etc. I don't know if they allow beach fires now. Other visitors joined together for singalongs and other beach activities...very informal. We rented a car so we could visit but some areas are long walk-arounds...usually the park areas which were geared to the children. There are a lot of touristy things and plenty of small restaurants along the highway. Lots of this may have changed now as this was many, many years ago and was more a trip for the kids than adults. I would recommend booking early, as the whole island is a tourist place in the summer.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

sounds wonderful, have been to the area but not PEI, loved exploring
Old 07-10-2017, 11:07 AM

We vacationed on PEI with our teen aged children-may years ago. They still talk about it. We stayed in a farm home bed and breakfast and did the stuff that was suggested for tourists-the lobster meals at schools or large halls, etc. e went in June and it was wonderful. I want to go there again. We did not go to Labrador or New Found Land.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

You'll love PEI!

Definitely Anne of Green Gables ... and read the books first, if you have not.
The theatrical productions of Anne in Charlottetown is something I have always wanted to see.
So probably, you should go there!!!
Probably the best to do is to check the tourism sites and see what piques your interest.

Just took a look and there are three RxR quilt shops this year.
http://www.rowbyrowexperience.com/pe.htm
That's probably all there are, which is more than I expected to find!

It's still a very laid back island with not a lot of urban development, and no heavy traffic.

Good for you for planning ahead ... best to do so, so that you can get the accommodation you want.

Depending on how long you plan to come to Canada, you may want to consider some other parts of the Maritimes too.

Happy Planning ... and Welcome!
Old 07-11-2017, 04:29 AM

My son and daughter-in-law visited PEI last summer. They had a wonderful vacation and said that the highlight was the time they spent at The Inn at Bay Fortune and the fabulous meals in Chef Michael Smith's restaurant. Michael Smith is a very well known Canadian chef who has (had?) his own cooking show on TV as well as participating in various Food Network shows. Here are a couple of websites that may give you more info.

https://www.tourismpei.com/
http://innatbayfortune.com/
Old 07-11-2017, 04:44 AM

PEI is compact enough you can tour the WHOLE thing in a few days working out from your place of lodging in a different direction each day. BEAUTIFUL SPOT!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Oooh, try to go when there is an event at the College of Piping in Summerside and go!! You won't be disappointed, especially if you love bagpipes and highland step dance. We attended the Canadian National HOG rally when it was in PEI and they had a steak and lobster dinner for us there and loads of entertainment. Most definitely the highlight of the trip!!

https://collegeofpiping.com/

While you are in that part of Canada, you may want to try to schedule in some time to go down to Cape Breton in Nova Scotia. There is a ferry that goes across Northumberland Strait. I prefer Nova Scotia to PEI for scenery, but that is just me. I have never made it as far as Cape Breton and it is most definitely on my bucket list of places to go.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:26 AM

We stayed on the northern area near the Anne of Green Gables attractions in late June. The lupines were in bloom and it seemed that everywhere we drove it was a visual feast.