Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   50 year old christening outfit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/50-year-old-christening-outfit-t200613.html)

colleen1978 09-16-2012 05:35 AM

50 year old christening outfit

I'm a new grandma! My daughter had a baby boy, Cashton. She asked me to make him a Christening gown out of my mother's (who has passed) wedding gown. My sisters decided they each want "a third" of it...leaving not enough. I could use part of it and add to it but it is from 1957 and was not stored appropriately so it is very yellowed anyway. My brother passed several years ago from the big C too and I have his Christening outfit from 1962. It is a tiny white cotton shirt with blue piping trim and a little hand embroidered stork carrying a baby. It has a little diaper cover too. My daughter asked me to see if I could get it as white as possible and she would like to use it. It was stored in a cardboard box in a cedar chest for 50 years! I know I may not get it totally pure white again. My dilemma...I'm afraid to try anything! I bought some borax as I read somewhere that that would be good. I'm afraid to fade the piping. Please share any advice or experience with me on how to get it as white as possible again! Thanks!!

Tink's Mom 09-16-2012 06:18 AM

Try some Oxyclean first...soak the little outfit in it. Maybe you can make a little vest and hat out of your Mom's wedding dress...if the blue fades it will be OK...just remember this is a family heirloom and not perfect.

Ellageo 09-16-2012 06:19 AM

I had my grandmothers doiles given to me recently..UGLY yellow, beautiful stitching...after a HOT water, Oxiclean bath..they look like new! Try it, That should not harm the fabric & hopefully work!

alwayslearning 09-16-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom (Post 5518049)
Try some Oxyclean first...soak the little outfit in it. Maybe you can make a little vest and hat out of your Mom's wedding dress...if the blue fades it will be OK...just remember this is a family heirloom and not perfect.

Agree, totally. Good luck.

Neesie 09-16-2012 07:27 AM

Not to make waves . . . but please be careful with the Oxyclean, as too much of it CAN harm fabric! Voice of experience, here! :p

You might also try washing it, with a mild shampoo, in cool water. As for the wedding dress, try "washing" a spot, with a baby wipe/wet wipe (a plain one, with NO aloe or other moisturizer). Depending upon the fabric, some wedding dresses can even be gently washed (cold water, mild detergent, air dried)! Since you'll be taking it apart, you can then repress the fabric, with a barely warm iron.

Jan in VA 09-16-2012 09:32 AM

A site I just googled: http://reviews.ebay.com/Removing-Com...00000003837863

Check others, too, by googling vintage textile soak. It sounds like you have a real task ahead, both challenging and precious.

I have my own christening dress from 67 years ago! I'm scared to even take it out of the acid-free tissue for feat it will just disintegrate. It was tissue thin batiste to begin with all those years ago. Thank you for causing me to think of it after many years!

Jan in VA

mountain deb 09-16-2012 11:21 PM

Several years ago I tried Cascade dishwasher detergent and it worked like a charm. I poured some (1-4 tablespoons) into very hot water to let it dissolve COMPLETELY, try liquid Cascade and skip the dissolve method. Once dissolved then add cold water to make about a gallon of mixture. Soak overnight.

Nell 09-17-2012 03:22 AM

Try "Restoration". It can be found online at The Vermont Country Store.

nnwalton2 09-17-2012 08:14 AM

I was going to say "Restoration" also. You can purchase it from Nancy's Notions, Colitide, or even maybe some quilt shops. I know it does help to clean up my cross stitch pieces before being framed. No matter what - the outfit will be special to all just because of it's history.

tanderbear 09-17-2012 06:23 PM

My gandmother and mom, still uses a bar soap that is called fels-naptha. Made by the Dial company....it is great for stains....you get the garment wet, then work the soap into the stains....great whitener also....on delicates, I get the garment wet, then just work the soap onto my wet hands (small amount) then work the area in my hands...that way you only get a small amount, but can add more, and you are not directly applying it to the cloth.....it is a bar soap...their 1-800-258-3425 or their website...www.purex.com...my grandmother says the ingredients have not changed since she started using it...many many years ago...with a wash board....(which I have now as an antique). Good luck