Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Acne is a bugbare (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/acne-bugbare-t67719.html)

Ramona Byrd 10-01-2010 01:45 PM

I know that L-lysine supplement works for a lot of people, my oldest son included but it doesn't work for me.
===============
L-Lysine worked for my son, who is the only one in my family with cold sores. Acne hit only one daughter in her teens, and even that went away when she cut her long hair. Might have been caused by some of the pounds of beauty products she put on it, but it did leave and left no marks.

I think that eating a lot of probiotic foods might be a big help.
Yogurt, buttermilk, Kefir, Kombucha, perhaps even cottage cheese. And cut out junk foods.

Prism99 10-01-2010 02:06 PM

An aesthetician just told me that Cetaphil anti-bacterial bar soap is good for acne. She said to be sure it is the anti-bacterial bar.

champagnebubbles 10-01-2010 02:11 PM

Cetaphil anti-bacterial bar soap is good for acne is also what I was told to use. It is all I use and it works great.

Holly 10-01-2010 02:18 PM

I also used the cetaphil antibacteria soap!! It worked really good!! Now I use Philosophy and i love it!! When I have a prescription for fever blisters and it really seems to work good!! Sometimes when it doesnt help though i use carmex or a lip gloss designed for sores to keep it the sore moist!!

Janetlmt 10-01-2010 03:13 PM

Wow..I am glad this post was started. I never had bad skin until 10 years ago. At the moment I am using Oil of Olay skin cleanser. I still have acne. I am trying the cetaphil..and the safeguard...Thank you.
Peace and blessings,

wvdek 10-01-2010 04:53 PM

I had acne as a kid. My mom was kind enough to start me on Mary Kay productrs. Never have problems as long as I use those products.
As far as the fever blisters/cold sores, I have had them for years about twice a year. My dentist confided he had had problems too and he found a product called Denavir. It is in a very small tube, costs about $38.00 per, and as soon as one feels the 'tingle', they should apply by rubbing in to the area several times a day.
Love this product. In the last three years I have had only three flare-ups. Stress can really make these problems act up as well as sugar, diet drinks, and poor eating habits. I use a an SPF lip balm on my lips several times a day as sun and wind can cause a flare-up. I go to the $ store and buy it.

OMgoodness, how funny. DD came home and is emptying her sacks of goodies and just gave me a package of the Chap-Ice SPF 15 and Chap Ice medicated. Too funny. I have these things in purse, car, book bag, crochet bag, bedside table, recliner table, sewing table, you name it. I use these constantly.

renee765 10-01-2010 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Beffy_Boo
tea tree oil for the acne and L-lysine supplement for the cold sores. works like a charm.

I know this is a stupid question, but do you ingest the L-lysine supplement or do you put it on the cold sore?

SherriB 10-01-2010 06:20 PM

My youngest DD gets acne often. She is 15. We tried the Proactive stuff and it didn't really do much for her. I remembered that my Mom swore by Dial. I got some plain Dial soap and had DD wash her face twice a day. Within a week,her acne had almost gone. It is back and she is using the Dial soap again. She only wears eyeliner so make-up isn't a problem for her. My guess is the Dial kills the bacteria on her skin that causes the acne. I never did get acne nor did older DD.

Aussie Quilter 10-01-2010 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Joan Rosemary
Hi has anyone out there got any good natural home remedies for acne and cold sores that continue to reoccur.

For cold sores, ice works for me, but neat Teatree oil or Eucalyptus oil works overnight. They are also great for removing the gunk left behind when you remove a sticky backed label.

amazon 10-01-2010 08:10 PM

Knock on wood ,never been bothered by acne. But cold sores are another thing, at least once a year. This really works...... when you feel the first tingle or warm spot on your lip... grab a q-tip or cottonball soaked in rubbing alcohol, yes rubbing alcohol!Apply every 30 mins. or as often as you can. Stops them if you catch it before it raises the skin, reduces the time if it has already bumped up your lip. Just be prepared to hold your nose , it also makes my eyes water.. but it is worth it.