Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   after cataract surgery? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/after-cataract-surgery-t98567.html)

Dina 02-10-2011 04:28 PM

My husband had cataract surgery two weeks ago. We weren't told much about what to expect afterwards...as far as sight goes. It turns out that he sees fairly well with that eye, but he will still need to wear glasses in order to see really right.

His doctor told him he wouldn't give him a new prescription for that eye for 6 weeks. So my husband took the lens out of one of his glasses and is using his "other eye" to do most of his seeing.

He has cataract surgery on the second eye in two weeks. He is expecting to be told the same thing...no new prescription for 6 weeks.

My question is what can be done to help him see better as he waits for both eyes to "heal completely." I think reading glasses, like from Wal-Mart might help when both eyes are done, but I'd sure appreciate someone who has been through this to give me some suggestions. His current back up plan is for me to drive him to and from work for six weeks, and I am looking for something a little less time consuming on my part! :)

Loes48 02-10-2011 04:35 PM

Oh Dina, how awful! I really have no answers on your questions, but I'll think about you. I have a child with a handicap, so I do know what it is when someone is helpless.

Dina 02-10-2011 05:13 PM

Well, I can't find any helpful information on the internet either, so I guess the process after cataract surgery is just different for each person and we need to be patient. Unfortunately patience is not one of my virtues, nor my husbands. :)

Tropical 02-10-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
Well, I can't find any helpful information on the internet either, so I guess the process after cataract surgery is just different for each person and we need to be patient. Unfortunately patience is not one of my virtues, nor my husbands. :)

Did you try the http://www.mayoclinic.com site or the http://www.webmd.com site. I usually go to those first for medical information. I hope you get some help.

lyndad 02-10-2011 05:27 PM

I went thru cataract surgery a year ago, but I had corrective lens replaced, however it was a little difficult until I had the other eye done. Your eyes will change for about 6 weeks after each one is done and they are healing. I also took 1 lens out of my glasses til I had the other eye done. But I could see well enough to drive and work. Good luck to your husband. Sorry to say it does take a little patience. Also the drops in the eye are a pain in the neck.

Diana Lynne 02-10-2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
My husband had cataract surgery two weeks ago. We weren't told much about what to expect afterwards...as far as sight goes. It turns out that he sees fairly well with that eye, but he will still need to wear glasses in order to see really right.

His doctor told him he wouldn't give him a new prescription for that eye for 6 weeks. So my husband took the lens out of one of his glasses and is using his "other eye" to do most of his seeing.

He has cataract surgery on the second eye in two weeks. He is expecting to be told the same thing...no new prescription for 6 weeks.

My question is what can be done to help him see better as he waits for both eyes to "heal completely." I think reading glasses, like from Wal-Mart might help when both eyes are done, but I'd sure appreciate someone who has been through this to give me some suggestions. His current back up plan is for me to drive him to and from work for six weeks, and I am looking for something a little less time consuming on my part! :)

I had cataract surgery on both eyes..Mine was so bad that I was legally blind almost..Could not make out anything but shapes and that is if I was lucky..Now, I very seldom need glasses at all..Only if the light is poor..Alot depends on what type of len's was put in your husbands eyes and what his eye sight was before cataract ( like did he have to wear glasses to correct vision) ..But, most people only need reading glasses after cataract surgery..Your husband when all the surgery is done is going to love his new eyesight.

Hosta 02-10-2011 09:15 PM

my eye dr said go to the drugstore or walmart get a pair of those cheapy glasses to wear they won't hurt your eyes and they are only for a few weeks my dr wouldnt give me glasses for two months after my surgery. be sure to get a couple pair because sometimes one is not strong enough for certain things and another pair might be

KarenSimon 02-10-2011 10:04 PM

After my cataract surgery I purchased reading glasses at Wal-Mart. But the broke so easily. After a few weeks, something would happen to them. In the last year buying them at the Dollar Tree. I can buy several pair for what I paid one at Wal-Mart. Check out the dollar store near you.

Dina 02-11-2011 06:50 AM

Okay, thanks, this information is really helpful. I am going to start looking at Wal-Mart and the dollar store both.