Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Alberta Flood disaster (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/alberta-flood-disaster-t224392.html)

MaryKatherine 06-24-2013 05:10 AM

Alberta Flood disaster

My heart goes out to the cities of High River, Calgary, Medicine Hat and the scores of small towns along the Elbow river and South Saskatchewan river.
MaryKatherine

carslo 06-24-2013 05:19 AM

It is truly awful - so many people are left without much.

Tartan 06-24-2013 06:50 AM

​Very bad and no flood insurance in Canada! That needs to be fixed!

nativetexan 06-24-2013 06:54 AM

Oh yes, I've seen the news on those floods. They are terrible. We have fires and tornadoes here. Mother Nature isn't happy all over the world.

Tink's Mom 06-24-2013 07:42 AM

So sad. Mother Nature is really angry lately. Hope any of our quilters are OK.

MaryKatherine 06-24-2013 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom (Post 6140656)

Me too. The quilt shop I had been in was elevated as I remember. But the downtown business and tourist core is just ruined. The Calgary stampede was due to start next week. I think if there is anyway possible those wonderful stubborn westerners will pull it off.
MK

QuiltE 06-24-2013 08:37 AM

Gotta love Mayor Nenshi! .... his press conferences have been uplifting and informative.
Right at the start, he committed to the Stampede going ahead ... and announced he'd confirmed he needed a new pair of cowboy boots!

Today they said the new Stampede slogan was "thru hell and high water!" :D

I think you'll see they will pull it off in full Western spirit ... though it will be a modified version, based around the devastation. It'll be good for one and all, to help re-build the spirits.

Just can't imagine all that has happened.

callen 06-25-2013 06:34 AM

Albertans are a strong group of people & if anybody can, Calgarians will pull off the stampede thru "hell or high water". When the going gets tough, the tough get going & the stampede will go on, I am sure of that. They still will need our help & prayers as many have lost "everything" including their houses & all their lost "treasures" which
are irreplaceable. Photos, cherished mementos from family members or friends who have left this earth. To think there are still people who don't believe there is a "global warming", well there is something wrong somewhere & if
it isn't a result of global warming then what the heck is causing all this destruction all over the world?????

Sandrea 06-25-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom (Post 6140656)

Agree...So many catastophies lately.

My time 06-27-2013 08:53 AM

This is one of the largest natural disasters in Canadian history! Can you imagine not being able to have flood insurance! People from High River still are not allowed back into their homes. I just can't imagine.