Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Allergies anyone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/allergies-anyone-t139447.html)

nativetexan 07-22-2011 07:44 AM

I just had my coffee and a chocolate chip muffin from a store i normally don't go to. Now i have hives all over my face, neck and chest. Itching like crazy. i took 1/2 of a Cloritrimatone (sp) and put on some Cortizone 10 creme.
That helps but the hives are spreading down my chest now.
i've had hives come on all my life but wonder what in the world they put in muffins?? I guess i'll stay away from them from now on.
anybody have ideas for the itching?

dakotamaid 07-22-2011 07:46 AM

Calamine lotion. or hydro cortisone (sp) cream

emerald46 07-22-2011 07:52 AM

If it continues, I would see a doctor. Hives can be dangerous. Take care.

nativetexan 07-22-2011 07:53 AM

I just called my Pharmacy and was told to have someone with me in case my half pill makes me fall asleep and i keep getting a reaction. like lips, throat, etc. swelling.
i think the hives are slowing down now. I do wish i knew what i ate that i'm allergic to. No other suggestions on cream to use, so i guess i'm good.

Ramona Byrd 07-22-2011 07:57 AM

Might have been the cream, if you use it. Or something in the coffee, could it have been mold? If it isn't in a busy place, then it could be caused by nearly anything. Do keep a close check on it and should it keep spreading, then do go to the doctor. Something that severe should not be happening.
Write down the name and address of the little place you got this coffee and sweets.
You might want to check with the local health department, if they have many (don't know the number that will get them moving) complaints about a place they will investigate to see what was causing the trouble.

nativetexan 07-22-2011 08:00 AM

I'm going to call the store where i bought the muffins and see if i can talk to anyone who might help. i doubt it but it is worth a try. thanks.
you mention mold and i am highly allergic to mold. it was my own coffee pot but maybe i will go clean it, just to be on the safe side!

dakotamaid 07-22-2011 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
I just called my Pharmacy and was told to have someone with me in case my half pill makes me fall asleep and i keep getting a reaction. like lips, throat, etc. swelling.
i think the hives are slowing down now. I do wish i knew what i ate that i'm allergic to. No other suggestions on cream to use, so i guess i'm good.

I'd call where you bought the muffin and ask for a list of the ingredients.

jojo4 07-22-2011 08:02 AM

Was this a muffin baked in the store? I suggest you go back to the store and inquire as to the ingredients in the muffin. To have that bad of a reaction is a sign that you need to investigate what your triggers are.

nativetexan 07-22-2011 08:06 AM

This store was Safeway and they don't seem to have a large bakery like Kingsoopers does. I'm not sure if they just buy them or bake them there but i will find out.
thanks.

Charlee 07-22-2011 08:09 AM

Get yourself to an allergist!! You NEED to know what the trigger was, so that you can avoid it in the future!!