Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Amish Chat & Chew (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/amish-chat-chew-t170158.html)

Nancy Ingham 11-28-2011 12:16 PM

Amish Chat & Chew

I just returned from spending Thanksgiving week at my home in Shipshewana. While there we were invited to an Amish home for a “Chat and Chew”….what a wonderful evening! Sam and Elizabeth Yoder have 10 children, 36 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. First we all attended an Amish auction held yearly to raise funds for a school of which many of their grandchildren attend. Then we went back to their farm home for the “Chat and Chew” where Elizabeth served fresh popped corn and cold beverages. We sat in their living/family room lighted by a single lamp burning white gas. Elizabeth gave me a tour of their home to share with me the bed quilts she had made along with one on a very large quilting rack that she and her family members were making as a wedding gift. On one upstairs bed, newspaper was spread out single-layer over the quilt. Elizabeth told me that she spreads out clean sheets over the newspaper and uses it to spread out her homemade noodles to dry. I also learned that they have everyday quilts and their best or fanciest quilt is used on the bed for Sundays only. As we were leaving we were presented with gifts….my husband received a lamp that runs on batteries which can be clipped onto your hat or clothing to see your way in an unlit area and a card of replacement batteries. Elizabeth presented me a purse that she had handmade/quilted. As the night came to a close and we were leaving they walked us out lighting our way by flashlight. What a wonderful visit of beautiful people which I was excited to share here.

I sincerely hope that all of you enjoyed a beautiful and blessed Thanksgiving holiday week.

lynnegreen 11-28-2011 12:23 PM

Just think if everyone had an opportunity to spend an evening at a Chat and Chew how much better the world would be. You are very lucky to have had such a wonderful evening.

vwquilting 11-28-2011 12:26 PM

We spent time with a Menonite family once. Very nice people.

Jingle 11-28-2011 02:43 PM

Sounds wonderful, good for you to be invited.

Sheila_H 11-28-2011 03:21 PM

It sounds like you had a wonderful time I have traveled to a couple of Amish area's just to go look at all the wonderful quilts and everyone is so friendly it's almost like its a stress reduced weekend after you get back.

sharon b 11-28-2011 03:56 PM

Wish I had known you were so close - I love Shipshewanna , and how special to be invited back to the house for a Chat and Chew - sound so peaceful.

Nan C 11-28-2011 05:14 PM

How special........you should put a picture of the purse on here. :)

GlitzyMe 11-28-2011 06:18 PM

What a lovely evening you had. I visited Shipshewana for a quilt retreat about 12 yrs ago. I had to inspect every inch of Yoders (both stores) and Lolly's before the fire. The Amish are a beautiful people.

Crlyn 11-28-2011 07:05 PM

I was very interested to read of your visit to the Amish home for a “Chat and Chew” how peaceful and friendly it all sounds. Thank you for sharing with us!

DogHouseMom 11-28-2011 07:24 PM

Many of our customers are Amish and Mennonite greenhouse growers. In fact, one of our customers is named Sam Yoder, but Samuel and Yoder are very common names among the Amish. A few have become good friends and we look forward to seeing them every year (along with the newest baby!) at the trade show in July.

I'd love the opportunity to spend a day or a weekend on an Amish farm. We've been invited several times, but we've never taken any of them up on it.

I've been following for weeks the story about the break-away Amish group that has been cutting the hair of the married men and women of their former Amish group. I was glad to see that they made 7 arrests last week.