Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any wedding gift ideas for a young couple? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-wedding-gift-ideas-young-couple-t233921.html)

LavenderBlue 11-04-2013 04:59 AM

You are so right about it adding up. When my granddaughter married last year, I had lots of fun putting together a "Cookie Box" for her. She loves to bake and I put these items and more into a lidded plastic box and mailed it to her shower. I was told it was a big hit and that everyone stopped when she opened it: Williams Sonoma cookie cookbook, baking sheets, silpat, cookie scoops, cookie cutters, kitchen timer, mixing spoon and spatula, mixing bowl, cooling rack, measuring cups/spoons, everything cookie-related. I have no idea how much it cost and wouldn't care, but probably $150 or so.

dlb0526 11-04-2013 05:29 AM

A idea I have used is pillow cases, table runner or a bed runner. It's a little more personable! But I'm sure whatever you decide,they will love it!
God bless

NJ Quilter 11-04-2013 05:48 AM

One of the go-to gifts that DH and I give to newly marrieds is a tool box with assorted hand tools...screw driver set, pliers, hammer and the like. Very useful, practical and rarely duplicated.

lclang 11-04-2013 05:59 AM

A nicely decorated 10 minute table runner, two quilted placemats, crocheted "name" doilies and the couple gets to frame as desired, basket of drink mixes and a pair of cups, basket of cookie mixes and cookie cutters or cookie sheet(s). They won't get duplicates of these.

mmb195152 11-04-2013 06:02 AM

My favorite newly wed gift is Christmas Stockings. I usually make them differ, but using the same fabrics. Always seem to be a big hit. I have even made matching ones when they have had babies.

Wanabee Quiltin 11-04-2013 06:41 AM

I have given "Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue" as wedding gifts and everyone seems to love the idea. I usually give an antique bowl or dish bought from a thrift store but still beautiful, something new is maybe an ice cream scooper or whatever comes to my mind, something borrowed is a $5 bill and something blue is whatever I see that is blue. I do this when a gift is expected but I don't want to spend much.

Gerbie 11-04-2013 07:11 AM

One of my favorite gifts to a couple is a bit out of the ordinary, but will eventually come in handy. I like to gift a set of oil lamps and a bottle of oil to go with them. Very doubtful that this gift will be duplicated.
I must admit I have a small collection of all shapes and sizes, antique and new oil lamps myself. I have used them many times over the years during electrical storms. I put one in kitchen sink, and keep one in my big bathroom and put it in the tub, no worry about a fire in either place.
I gave a set of lamps and bottle of oil to my youngest neice at her Bridal Shower- the questioning look on her face when she opened them reminded me of the credit card ad-priceless-but when I mentioned I knew she would be living in Houston, Tx, and there are hurricanes there at times, as well as power shortages all over the country , and these would come in handy some time or another. She said that was cool!! My daughter later ask for a set for Christmas.

flikkem 11-04-2013 07:17 AM

I have given a small quilt specifically for use in the car.
It's a good idea to have one handy in the car especially if you live in a cold climate and could get stranded on the road. It's not a quilt you'd be concerned about matching their decor.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-04-2013 07:24 AM

I often do a laundry basket. Put paper towels or TP in the bottom to kind of fill it up without going to pricey. Then you can put any little items all around the top. Stacked correctly and wrapped up in colored cellophane with a big bow it looks like a big gift without breaking the budget.

I generally include all kinds of items that every house can use, but doesn't have to match anything. Cookie sheets, measuring spoons, bandaids, dryer sheets, thank you cards, Hamburger Helper type dinners, family recipe cards, pictures I may have from when the bride or groom was little, picture hangers, tack hammer, etc.

Depending on your basket size you can go as crazy as you want or you can keep it down to a minimum without looking cheap.

Tothill 11-04-2013 07:26 AM

First I would call the mothers of the bride and groom to get an idea of what they are needing. Somethings do not get put on the registry list.

You mentioned the couple is young. Dh's niece got married in 2010, they were a young couple only a year out of high school, starting from scratch. They were registered and one of the things on the list was a game for their game system. It was the perfect gift from an Uncle who works in Technology. We bought an extra controller too.

They opened gifts the day after the wedding, you should have seen the groom's face when they opened the box. He was thrilled to get something fun.

Later the bride's Mum commented that they felt uncertain about putting a game on the registry. We figured it gave them a source of inexpensive entertainment.