Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anybody else allergic to sunscreen? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anybody-else-allergic-sunscreen-t132710.html)

magnolia 06-23-2011 09:32 PM

Apparently, I am allergic to sunscreen. I'm not sure which chemicals yet. I have made an appointment to see my doctor. I break out in a very itchy and fiery rash. I just bought a natural sunscreen tonight called "Badger" to try out. I leave for my first summer camp on Sunday and sunscreen is a must. I sure hope it works. Does anyone else have any unfortunate experience with this sort of thing?

lindyline 06-23-2011 09:35 PM

My son is allergic to the main screening component in sunscreen. We had to sign a waiver at day care and school saying we wouldn't sue if he developed skin cancer later in life. Over here sunscreen is mandatory on all kids outdoors.

Nanamoms 06-23-2011 10:23 PM

I'm allergic to some ingredient in sunscreen. That "sunscreen smell" also makes me nausaus, too. I have used Nutregena and it seems to not break me out but it still has that "smell" but not as bad as some.

There is probably a dematologist prescription for one which would cost you a small fortune. :) You probably need at least a 40.

post when you find out what you can use.

barking-rabbit 06-23-2011 10:32 PM

It causes me to peal the first few times I use it. Even the sensitive face ones. Next bottle is going to be Clinque.

mzsooz 06-23-2011 10:45 PM

I'm very allergic. It is the ingredients called "parsol" or avobenzone or oxybenzone.

I generally find that baby sunscreen is the best for me as long as they don't contain those ingredient. Usually I just don't wear any because I don't want to take a chance.

QuiltE 06-24-2011 02:52 AM

For me it's the aloe that is in many of the sunscreens that I'm allergic to. I have to be careful in choosing any skin care products, as many have it as an ingredient ... and sometimes seen if only in the fine print (that I usually can't see because it is so small!)

blueangel 06-24-2011 04:24 AM

I'm allergic to something that is in every sunscreen. I break out in a rash. Have tried them all.

pipp5 06-24-2011 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
For me it's the aloe that is in many of the sunscreens that I'm allergic to. I have to be careful in choosing any skin care products, as many have it as an ingredient ... and sometimes seen if only in the fine print (that I usually can't see because it is so small!)

My daughter and I are allergic to aloe and it does make shopping a challenge. There are so many things with aloe in them (lotion, soap, sunscreen, shampoo, make up, eye makeup remover). I can usually tell immediately if I've used something I shouldn't have, it totally changes the texture of my skin, makes it feel like velcro.

mzsooz 06-24-2011 07:25 AM

another culprit in some skin creams etc. is lanolin. I am violently allergic to it and it is in so many makeups. I finally just quit wearing it.

sgardner 06-24-2011 07:31 AM

I am allergic to a lot of perfumes and stuff found in make-ups and lotions. Haven't been allergic to sunscreen "yet", but as the other poster mentioned, I've been avoiding most of it as a general precaution.

The best sunscreen is clothing!