Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone had Thumb Joint surgery??? Need Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-had-thumb-joint-surgery-need-advice-t145419.html)

sak658 08-15-2011 01:40 PM

Has anyone had surgery on the thumb joint that is up on your hand caused from arthritis.?? Mine is very painful and stays swollen a lot on both hands... I went to a Hand Orthoropedic Dr. today. He says mine needs surgery on both hands, but my right one is worse. Injections will only help for a little while, would not suggest it. He said he does a different procedure than other Drs.and he has had excellent result in over 700 procedures. Takes about 45 minutes, day surgery, splint for 6 weeks, can take off and on to bathe and etc. 40% usage in 3 months, total usage in 9 months. But will be great for the rest of my life. No therapy needed. I just want to be able to sew. So that's why I'm asking if anyone has had this procedure or anything like it. Thanks ... I'm scheduled for Aug. 30th and have to wait 3 months before doing the other hand. Need your prayers too...

Crqltr 08-15-2011 02:30 PM

I had it done about four years ago..he took a piece of arm tendon to cushion the joint , or something like that. I had to wear a cast for weeks. I fell while in the cast and broke the side of my hand above the little finger. Broke it thru the cast. I work in the or so I am his poster child for what can happen when he has new residents working with him. It did help lots tho, no more ugly braces tower 24hours a day. Being able to use right hand again took lots of pressure off left hand so I am able to get by with no surgery on the left. Hope this helps!!

nativetexan 08-15-2011 02:32 PM

I'm glad you are waiting to do the other hand! I have no advice but it sounds like it will help you a lot. both my thumbs are getting bad so one day I may join you.
good luck!

sak658 08-15-2011 02:54 PM

Thanks so much, he is using tendon from arm also. So sorry about your fall. But good about your other hand. Maybe that will work for me...

Nativetexas, he won't do the other hand for at least 3 months after the first one... The cost of the first one might play a big part in doing the second one...LOL

Granny Quilter 08-15-2011 04:53 PM

What kind of procedure is it? I had my left thumb joint fused about 8 years ago. No pain. Now th Arthritis in the right thumb is worse than the left was.
Good luck with yours.

Kitsie 08-15-2011 05:41 PM

Are you guys talking about the joint where the thumb joins the hand or the top thumb joint? Notice mine hurts when pulling the needle through doing hand quilting, but not bad enough yet! Wow, long healing time, but sounds well worth it! Good luck to you!

Navy Wife 08-15-2011 06:15 PM

I had that done last year. I was in a cast/splint for a month, did gentle exercises for a month and therapy for a month. It worked fine after that, a little stiffness if I didn't exercise it every day for a month or 2. Totally normal now. I do get a little ache when the weather changes, but I get that all over!

nativetexan 08-15-2011 06:24 PM

my joints near my wrists are the bad guys. my thumbs are actually pulling inwards toward my palms now. i press on them to try and flatten my hands often.

sak658 08-15-2011 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
my joints near my wrists are the bad guys. my thumbs are actually pulling inwards toward my palms now. i press on them to try and flatten my hands often.

I know a good Dr.... when you need one... Keep in touch.
I will let you know how it goes...

grannyp70 08-16-2011 04:48 AM

Hi sak658, I will keep you in my prayers, and I know that you will do just fine. I know that if all the board members say prayers for you, you will be back to normal in just a few days. Hope you will have a wonderful day. Love ya