Anyone have a CT Scan with contrast?
I am scheduled for a CT scan next week and wonder how it was if you had to drink that Barium icky stuff. And what happens after - do you feel poorly the rest of the day?
The next day I am going to the Road to CA quilt show and I want to feel well for that...I will even reschedule if I won't be up to snuff!
What is your experience?
YES!! I'm an expert at these.....seriously.
I've had probably had 8-10 CT Scans with contrast in the last 5 years due to a cancer diagnosis, surgery, and chemo.....Here's the tips I've learned:
1. Get the Contrast the day before. The local hospital here will give it to you so that you don't have to show up 2 hours before your scan and chug it down in their waiting room. (Be sure to see if they have a choice of flavors....I once was able to get a Berry flavored one and it was 300% better than the orange.)
2. PUT IT IN THE REFRIGERATOR. You can then almost convince yourself it is an orange milkshake or smoothie.
3. Get a straw from McDonald's. They have the largest diameter straws of any fast food joint. It's easier to suck it down with a straw.
4. Hold your nose and suck it down with a straw....straight down your throat....don't let it touch your taste buds....trust me on that one....
5. The contrast didn't really affect me after getting it down....No mad dashes to the potty or feelings of nausea....I have gone shopping and done other things after the scan...
I'm coming up on my last 6 month scan...In slightly more than 3 weeks, I'm going to be 5 years cancer free and waiting a whole year before another scan...