Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone have a Roku2? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-have-roku2-t154686.html)

Ditter43 09-21-2011 10:53 AM

I just bought a Roku2 and can't get it to work. My wireless router is good and my new T.V. is internet ready! Their customer service sucks!
Can anybody help?

jljack 09-21-2011 10:53 AM

What is it? What is it supposed to do?? Never heard of this thing.

Ditter43 09-21-2011 11:03 AM

It lets you stream video from your computer to your t.v.

SewExtremeSeams 09-21-2011 11:57 AM

Sorry you are having problems. We have Roku... not sure but it is a year or so old. We had trouble at first and found their customer service was great. We did have to go back and forth between Netflix and Roku.. each thinking it was the other's problem. In the end, Roku sent a new device out to us free of charge. My suggestion for customer service is to call back an hour or day later and try someone else. Usually it is just the individual that isn't good. :D

Jennifer22206 09-21-2011 12:08 PM

my DH has one. I'll ask him as soon as he gets home.

Jennifer22206 09-21-2011 12:10 PM

Ditter -

DH says: define "can't get it to work" the tv being internet ready is irrelevant. If it detects the wireless network, the setup is relatively straight forward.

"if the tv is connected via wireless and working fine, that could be why she mentions the tv."

so, the steps are, 'does it detect the wireless network?'

'if yes, then does it provide a signal strength, how strong is it?'

'if no, then what sort of network setup is it, WPA/WEP/WPA-2'

Ellen 09-21-2011 12:23 PM

I was going to get a Roku but I'm really confused now.
Jennifer, would you ask DH if it matters that I have DirecTV but FiOs wireless for computer and phone?

Jennifer22206 09-21-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen
I was going to get a Roku but I'm really confused now.
Jennifer, would you ask DH if it matters that I have DirecTV but FiOs wireless for computer and phone?

Will do. :) He's my techie man.

Jennifer22206 09-21-2011 12:32 PM

Ellen - "Roku is independant of cable/internet provider. It just needs an internet connection. so, no, it doesn't matter what they have, as long as they can connect the box (via wireless router or by a ethernet cable to their cable router)"

Ditter43 09-21-2011 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Ditter -

DH says: define "can't get it to work" the tv being internet ready is irrelevant. If it detects the wireless network, the setup is relatively straight forward.

"if the tv is connected via wireless and working fine, that could be why she mentions the tv."

so, the steps are, 'does it detect the wireless network?'

'if yes, then does it provide a signal strength, how strong is it?'

'if no, then what sort of network setup is it, WPA/WEP/WPA-2'

WPA/WEP/WPA-2
I don't know what any of those things are!!!